syncing problems

I'm using Ubuntu and apparently the most up to date version of Zotero for my system is 1.0.10. So, it looks like I may be stuck for now without access to the new Zotero syncing solution. I'm a little iffy on that solution anyway--is it automatic? will others be able to read my notes? any security issues?

The solution I implemented for syncing my office and home computers was to put the Zotero data folder within my documents and then using rsync between computers.

Lately, though, I've noticed anomalies. Citations I add on one machine don't seem to appear on the other. Also, when I click my Library, many of my academic citations (which are housed in a subfolder) show in duplicate and triplicate.

I can think of a couple causes of these problems: a) I don't generally turn off Zotero on both machine when I sync. b) At one point, my Zotero version was updated on one machine but not the other, and I stupidly rsynced.

My questions: Is it possible to make the rsync solution work? Can I avoid problems by shutting down Zotero on both machines before syncing and by not letting my Zotero versions get out of phase?

Peter
  • I'm using Ubuntu and apparently the most up to date version of Zotero for my system is 1.0.10.
    Why do you think this? You can use the 2.0 beta on Ubuntu.
    is it automatic?
    What do you mean by "automatic?" You have to enter in the account information. All records will be synced when you choose to sync. You can choose whether or not to sync automatically (no reason not to).
    will others be able to read my notes?
    You can choose whether or not they can see your library. If you have a public library, you can choose whether or not to have public notes.
    Is it possible to make the rsync solution work?
    Not well, because rsync treats the zotero.sqlite database file as if it were any other file. You'd need to be much more diligent about closing firefox & when you choose to sync to make this work. It is possible, though.
  • Ok, I took the plunge and installed Zotero 2.0. Looks marvelous, just a wee nervous about the "Beta" thing. I'll back up the database w/ Firefox closed.

The idea of keeping notes private would be a good one--I have some nasty comments in places about articles I read. Wouldn't want that to get back to the authors.... I do not, however, see any way to make the notes private. Maybe some more exploration will help.

Thanks noksagt! Peter
  • when logged into the site: top right "settings" then "Privacy" tab.
  • Perfect, thanks!

Peter