changing laptop - taking over library and citation style

Hi guys,

two short questions:

In the last years I used zotero for my phd thesis (organisation with standalone and citation with word plugin). Due to the acquisation of a new laptop I want to finalise my phd with the new laptop. Insofar I installed zotero standalone on the new laptop and synced it with my account. The library is shown now on both laptops.

1. Can I delete zotero on the old laptop (wanted so), or have I export the library first?
2. I am not sure which final citation style I currently used for my phd thesis (I remember that I changed an existing style by my own). Is it possible to see, which citation style I currently use and export it from the old laptop to the new?

Thanks for your help!
  • 1. As a general rule, I'd always keep a full HD back-up of your old laptop for some time after switching computers in case anything didn't transfer. For Zotero purposes, if your libraries are fully synced that shouldn't be necessary, but you'll want to be sure, e.g. that file attachments are also all synced.
    2. Yes, under "Document Preferences" in the Word add-on. If you use a style downloaded from zotero.org/styles, though, this isn't necessary. If the style isn't included in the default set that comes with Zotero, Zotero will automatically download it.
  • Thx for your input.

Regarding point 2:

I currently use a modified citation style (based on an existing style). As I try to use zotero standalone and the add-on for word with my word document on the new laptop (clicking on "add/edit citation" or "document preferences") an alert appears, which informs me that the used citation style has not been found. How can I transfer my modified citation style manually of the old to the new laptop?
  • It's a file in the "styles" folder in the Zotero data directory: https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data