Does Word Plugin work with "click to run" MS Office version?

I am using a free "click to run" version of MS office through my university. I previously used the Zotero plugin for office with another version of office (licence key), but now that I'm using click to run and re-installing Zotero on a new computer - the plugin doesn't show up in Microsoft office even though it is enabled in my Zotero extension settings.

Does the Zotero plugin work for the "click to run" version of office?
  • Yes, but you might need to perform manual Zotero Word plugin installation. If you do, could you tell us where your Startup folder is so we can improve the automatic install procedure?
  • FINALLY giving this a try!! Un-installling my current Zotero and re-installing and will try the manual Word plugin as well as trying to figure out where my Startup folder is.
  • Trying to follow the manual Zotero Word plugin instructions linked in the response but in the installation folder I can't find a Zotero.dotm file. Will try uninstalling and reinstalling again.
  • Well re-installing seemed to do the trick! For me, the zotero file for manual installation was under C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install. The instructions from Zotero for manual word plugin installation didn't indicate the "install folder".

I'm not really sure exactly what fixed the problem - I think automatic installation actually may have worked this time since when I went through the manual process, there were two separate "Zotero" tabs in Word. I thought I checked my Word right after installing - but may just have missed the Zotero tab.

bwiernik - I don't think those instructions cover Office365 "click-to-run"? I'm not sure how to find my Word Startup folder or what that is... Just poking around and finding...

Maybe this empty folder called "STARTUP"?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\STARTUP
  • Hmmm re-read and I see that the manual installation instructions say how to locate the Word startup folder for Word 2007 and later for Windows. This should apply to me... but I'm still having trouble finding the startup folder.

But the word plugin seems to be working now so my initial issue is solved!