Help - citations inserted as plain text

I am running a Mac using High Sierra with Firefox version Quantum. I have Word version 16.11 and Zotero version 5.0.33.

I am using Zotero again for the first time in a few years. I am writing a paper and to insert a citation I put the cursor where I want the citation, then I click on Add/Edit Citation in the toolbar of my Word document. I get the long red box where I can choose from the sources I have uploaded into my Zotero account. When I choose a source and hit return on my keyboard, the citation gets entered into my document (I am using CSE, author-date) but is just plain text. In the past, the citation was linked to my Zotero account and when I hovered over it, it would show that in a small box that would appear. Additionally, if I choose Add/Edit Bibliography from the toolbar, I also get plain text. I have tried updating and restarting Word, Firefox, and Zotero, to no avail.

My Zotero account is running both online and is connected to my Firefox browser with the connector add-on. My document is saved as a .docx. I have the track changed option on (this has worked for me in the past). The only option I see on the tool bar is for Unlink Citations. I have tried to do that in order to relink after (to sort of "refresh" it), but it never changes to "Link Citations" so I can't seem to change that at all. I have spent over 2 hours trying to Google a solution and so far nothing.

I am not computer savvy so asking further questions or explaining ideas in technical jargon won't help me. Thanks in advance.

• So the unlink citation step wasn't ideal because that _actually_ converts the citations to plain text. Can you go back to a version before that?

Because if you can still click add bibliography and it works, the citations are not plain text. What you're likely reacting to is a change in the "Field Shading" setting of Word that you (or someone/something else) made accidentally and so the Zotero citations don't appear in grey anymore when you hover over them. You can google how to change that setting for your specific Word version.
  • (You're also running outdated versions of both Zotero and Word and should update both)
  • Thank you very much for your help. I believe it was the outdated versions that caused the problem. I updated both and now things seem to be working okay again. Such a simple issue. I appreciate the advice very much.