Better bibteх import

edited February 19, 2019
Hello, everyone.
Better bibtex plugin can automatically export bibliography from selected collections and keep it updated. Is there any possibility to keep updated Zotero collections to external sourse automtically?
  • you mean an automatically synced import? E.g. you add something to a bibtex file and it automatically appears in Zotero? No, sorry. I'm guessing this is technically feasible but it's going to be quite fragile and given how much easier it is to add things to Zotero I doubt there's enough demand to make this worthwhile as a feature.
  • Ok, thank you.
  • Yes, I would definitely suggest you approach Zotero as the place where you manage your items and edit the item data, and allow BBT to keep a .bib file updated.
  • Bidi sync with bibtex files is hard because you can only see that the file has changed, not what has changed in it. Example:

In Zotero, I have an item A and add B, both not present in the bib file.
    in the bib file, I add item C, not present in Zotero.

Change notifications are not instantaneous, so let's say we notice these changes at the same time. Item A is older than the bib file now is. Should A be added to the bib file, or removed from Zotero?

This is aside the performance issue of continuously having to poll the fikesystem, and parse the bib file.

A fragile solution can probably be put together, but not by me! And if it's too hacky for me, that's saying something.