Lost data

I lost data while updating to 5.0.60.
What can I do?
  • Could you specify that a bit? update from which version? (doesn't have to be precise, but did you update from 4.0.x or from a recent 5.0 version). What sort of data did you lose?

Zotero does not touch your data directory at all during regular updates, so likely something else is going on here.
  • Dear Adam
    I updated my MacBook Air from 4 till 5 as it told me I couldn't sync otherwise.
    After that I synced with my Mac which was already updated and the I discovered all my data of the last two months (more or less) were gone.
    Paul
  • Did the Mac have any of the newer data? Syncing for version 4 has been disabled for a while, so if you had the newer data on the macbook, that picked up an empty data directory on update and synced that, that'd explain what you're seeing.

Did you have the data on the laptop in a custom location?
  • The Mac did not have the newer data, they were all on my notebook.
    Where would I find such a custom location?
  • the custom location you'd have set yourself. If you don't remember doing that, you probably didn't.

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/data_missing_after_zotero_5_upgrade

has instructions for your scenario
  • Thanks for helping me, Adam. At last I found all trhe data in Unfiled Items. They were all removed tot that place, oddly enough.
    Paul
  • that would happen if they got removed from a collection or if the collections they were in got deleted. Are you missing any collections?
  • No, I have got back everything. Thanks a lot for helping me out.