oxt plugin for OpenOffice 3 on Windows XP not working

I recently switched to 2.0 beta on my work mac, and used the new OO plugin recommended. Works fine.
BUT
I then switched to 2.0 beta on my Windows XP machine, and the OO plugin does nothing. The toolbar is there, but the buttons do nothing.
If I uninstall and reinstall the older zotero.oxt (the one that worked with 1.0), it appears to work; when doing a new document and inserting a citation, it asks for my prefered style, and then I can insert fro the 2.0 library, and create bibs; BUT, if I click on the edit preference button, I get a warning that the current OO plugin is not compatible with Zotero 2.
Interesting thing is if I do an uninstall of the plugin, and restart OO, the toolbar is still there! Doesn't do anything of course, but where is this coming from (I had OO, and Zotero both installed for all users!
Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • Does the OO.o extension manager show that the extension is gone? If you don't use other OO.o extensions, you can delete your uno_pacakages directory (e.g. c:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\share\uno_packages) & all traces of the zotero OO.o extension should be removed. If you have other extensions, you can try to find the storage directory of zotero within that directory.

Then re-install the latest version of the Zotero OO.o extension.
  • It behaved the same way for me on XP and OO.o 3.1 without any previous pre-2.x version, but the extension manager said the extension had an unknown status. I uninstalled it from the extension manager then reinstalled from there as well rather than double-clicking the *.oxt and it now responds as expected.
  • nokasgt: yes, the plugin is gone; however, I went to the uno_packages and a subdirectory was there it is still there that had zotero related files; so I deleted it. When I restarted OO3, the Zotero menu bar is till there. I can't figure out where it is coming from. If I do an exhaustive search for the word "zotero" all I get back are the installation files in my downloads directory.
    rhy7s
    The extension appears to install properly; after doing above, then I reinstall, a directory is now in c:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\share\uno_packages that have the zotero related things;
    There is a padlock icon in the extension manager, but some of my other extensions have that also.
    I wish I had stayed with the 1.0 version, as now I am dead in the water; the mac installation had none of these problems.
  • I still think you want to do your best to remove the remains of the zotero OO.o extension completely. It might also be hiding in your local directory "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user\uno_packages". You must have OO.o closed completely (quickstarter included) when you remove these. You should delete not only Zotero.oxt, but also the parent directory and matching file.

You can also try to use unopkg too.

It may be worth trying to use OO.o from another account & to see if you can isolate the problem to your user profile or the system profile.
  • I did do that: completely shut down OO, then go and delete the directory; is completely gone, and the only instances of anything saying zotero other than the database itself that is the extension for Firefox, are the zotero.oxt's in my download directory (not installed).
    Still, the zotero toolbar appears in OO when started. This menu is coming from somewhere. I am tempted to uninstall and then reinstall OO, then put back my extensions one by one.
  • After doing extensive searches, I could not find where the toolbar was coming from. So, I purged by hard drive of openoffice 3.1, including all folders in settings and documents for any user, etc., then did a re-install. Then added back the extensions. Now the plugin works, AND the toolbar looks very different from what it was before.
    I don't like having to resort to this kind of thing; that old toolbar had to be coming from somewhere.