Adding a string to (the name of) a PDF attachment

Hello all,

I have the following problem:

I have files (as attachments to items) where the name is significant (and not represented in the item metadata). For example, the file is a book section and contains page number information in the file name (e.g. the name is "ABC something - pp. 15-32.pdf"), where ABC is a string relating to the book, and pp. 15-32 are the page numbers. We have a lot of those, and manually picking out the metadata is not an option.

We now want to do content analysis on these papers. However, NVIVO seems to rename the pdfs, which then becomes difficult when we want to go back to Zotero.

I would therefore like to put the item ID into the filename. This should be possible in ZotFile with custom wildcards. BUT - this will also change the otherwise meaningful filename. I've not found a way by which ZotFile can APPEND to the existing filename.

Anybody got some ideas how to do this with ZotFile or otherwise? (I.e. within the Zotero client.)

(We'll try with the server API, but I'm not quite that far yet.)

Bjoern
  • Hi Bjoern,

Sorry that I'm not answering your question but instead asking for your expertise. I have over 600 entries in my Zotero, most with the corresponding PDF of the academic journal article stored locally on my PC in the Zotero storage folders (they're also all located in my Zotero account in the cloud) . I've just started to use NVivo and don't want to import the PDFs into my NVivo project, because I believe it will create two versions of the files on my computer. Do you know if there's an easy way to import into NVivo the file locations from the Zotero storage folders so that I have only one PDF per article (or where I could find more information on this)?

Thanks,
    Jim

• Hi @jelarv

We did something similar for a recent literature review - are you planning to do a literature review? We didn't find NVIVO great for this - it was very slow, with quite limited import/export. Another issue was finding a way of referencing the files and getting page numbers.

Is there a reason you don't want to duplicate the files to import into NVIVO? I don't know of a way of doing this differently, but also given our experience with NVIVO, I really wouldn't recommend experiementing.

Let me know some more details, and I'll see what I can recommend.
    Bjoern
  • Thanks Bjoern. My primary motive to avoid duplicating the PDFs is because if I highlight or annotate text in one PDF it will not appear in the other version.

I'm not sure I was thinking of doing a traditional lit review, but similar to how Zotero allows one to tag an entire PDF by topic, it would be helpful to tag (or "code") the individidual paragraphs within a PDF by topic. As I reflect on this, it's probably more granularity than I really need, but thought I'd check to see if I could easily do this in NVivo without creating two sets of files.
  • In my experience, that kind of "transparent" working with NVIVO is impossible. NVIVO doesn't annotate the PDFs but keep annotations in am internal database. For example, NVIVO cannot export annotated PDFS. I know it sounds like a logical thing to want to do, but NVIVO can't.