problem with ScienceDirect

I'm using Zotero 2.0b5 on Firefox 3.0.11 and having trouble to save item from ScienceDirect. Any recommendation to fix this problem? Thanks in advance ;-).
  • Lots of reports for this. Wait for the translator to be updated. As a work-around, use the site's "export citation" w/ RIS+abstract.
  • FYI I have the exact Zotero/Firefox versions as arnon and am experiencing the identical problem.
  • I realized that there is an easy workaround:

1. In Zotero 2.0b5, use "Add Item by Identifier" and type the DOI of the item. This retrieves everything except the PDF.

2. Drag and drop the PDF on the downloaded reference. If you would like to rename the PDF automatically, right-click its icon and choose "Rename File from Parent Metadata".
  • I've been having problems with the Science Direct translator for the last 3 weeks. Is there any timeline for when this bug might be fixed? This is one of my main sources. Thanks very much.
  • Thanks a lot gsriram and noksagt.

It works perfectly with 2.0b6. Thanks a bunch Zotero folks!

;-)
  • Also works to use science direct's export feature -- export as RIS. If the preferences box is clicked to automatically import RIS files, Zotero will do it this way. Still have to manually download & attach the PDF but it's better than nothing!
  • The ScienceDirect translator should now be fixed. (It's been mostly fixed for Zotero 2.0 users for a little while but should now work for everybody.) Your copy of Zotero should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Now in the General pane of the Zotero prefs.
  • I might be a bit out of focuss in this forum topic but if you import RIS + abstract this implicitly means you can handle the abstract content ...

Is there a style to print a bibliography including the abstract field content available ?

I have not yet understood how to edit styles (sorry) !
  • hey -
    in the future, do open new threads for new questions. It will help people find answers to similar questions.

putting

<text variable="abstract" prefix="

"/>
    at the end of any style (just before the line that says:
    </layout>

will put the abstract of an article (if it has one) after each item in the bibliography.

see here for how to make quick changes to styles:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5104/modifying-word-plugin-using-journal-abbreviation-instead-of-publication-name/#Item_2
  • edited August 24, 2009
    I still have the same translator problem with science direct although I have full access to articles. Am I the only one for whom it doesn't work or is there a translator update on the way ?

EDIT:
    After some research, I fixed this problem in changing the cookies management in the options of firefox to accept 3rd part cookies. Works great now !
  • This problem is fixed?
    I'm getting errors. Using version 2.0b7.2 and Firefox 3.5.3
    Puzzling since I thought I've used ScienceDirect in the past and not had this problem. I recently (this week) started a big project that has taken me to ScienceDirect and noticed the issue. Instead of the paper icon in the URL bar I get the folder icon. When I click the folder icon I get a 'Could not save item' error. Firefox accepts cookies. I tried deleting ScienceDirect cookies so it would replace them; no change.Can you help?
  • Here's one:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V78-4V4KC60-1&_user=1022551&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1040564483&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050484&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=1022551&md5=bb56cd2be4921b4ea210c0392bb29f08
  • That URL works for me. Can you provide a Report ID after trying to save?
  • Report ID: 601092236

Thanks for your help.
  • Hi, I have the same problem with Science direct.

Report ID: 80338894

It worked before for me as well and I just updated the translators.

Hm, this is weird, I was trying to copy the link and it seems to work now again. I might have been too hasty.

Thanks a lot! :-)
  • I'm having the same issue. Everything on ScienceDirect shows up as a collection (folder) instead of an article.

example:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VRT-4X9DFW5-4&_user=616288&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000032378&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=616288&md5=2ba1d65e69c25c1bd2c15f7932d8cf92
  • Weird. After posting that, it all went back to normal in one of my firefox windows, but not the other. I have had this folder icon issue many times recently, so something is screwy.
  • I am also having this problem, this page has a collection folder icon rather than a document icon:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VC9-4SRCJVJ-3&_user=4429&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1056727094&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000059602&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=4429&md5=59518dd4e4b877ff40687b008fdb7780

Error Report: 461533072

Thanks for any help!
  • I also have the 'collection folder' problem with ScienceDirect.

Error Report: 1600935310

http://www.sciencedirect.com.proxy.lib.umich.edu/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TFM-44DYF2G-2&_user=99318&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000007678&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=99318&md5=d9a2574920a348af7e911c9ddaeee0a7

I add this post here to note that when I access the same article without using the proxy address it works fine. (Of course I then don't have access to the PDF of the article, but it gives me a workaround.) Hope this helps with addressing the issue.