Editing options for titles?

edited January 18, 2019
I am working in chemisty and the titles of the papers in my library usually contain lots of subscript and superscript numbers. When the titles are imported usually these formatting info gets lost.
If I have a style which shows titles I manually have to add <sub>X</sub> and <sup>X</sup> tags. This can be quite annoying if more complicated formulae are present.
Does any one have an idea how to simplify this a bit?
I already tried editing the titles in Word using convenient sub- and superscript shortcuts. Word text has to be exported as html and the formated text needs to be extracted. This is far from a perfect solution.
I actually would prefer to have some basic editing options in the title field of Zotero.
  • This has been talked about occasionally, and having users manually add html tags definitely isn't ideal, but I don't think a solution for this will happen any time super soon, definitely not before Zotero switches to a different UI platform (which I think is planned in the next year or two).

I find manually typing html still much better than doing it with a graphical editor, but I think you can definitely do better than word, e.g. by doing this in a Zotero note and then getting the HTML using right-click --> source code.
  • I have not thought about using Zotero's note and abuse for HTML conversion. But it is a great idea. I do not have to switch programs and for titles with many subscripts its just great.
    Thank you very much adamsmith!
  • I find that adding html tags to the titles of papers is a bit annoying, but the thing I find most annoying is that the html is displayed in my Zotero library.

It would be awesome if in the library view, the title of a paper formatted to properly show the sub/superscripted character rather than the html.
  • Now that approximately three years have passed, I want to raise the issue of editing titles again.
    I have switched to the beta version of Zotero with the really neat pdf and note editing possibilities. However, the new note editor does not allow export of html code, which I used to simplify editing chemical formulas (mainly putting nuber as sub- or superscript).
    With the advent of Zotero 6 I would very much appreciate a feature that allows direct addition of HTML code to titles. This would make my work with Zotero much easier.