The citation added from a DOI does not load all authors

Hi,

So I tried adding this citation to my library
https://doi.org/10.1785/0120020167
and Zotero only finds the first author, not the second.

Thomas.
  • Unfortunately, the problem here is that the data the publisher has sent to CrossRef (the DOI data registrar) only includes the first author. You should contact the publisher and ask them to fix this.
  • Hi,

Here are related problem, but in this case, I wonder if the problem is not from Zotero:

title too long:
    10.1002/2017GL075301
    10.1002/2017GL073461
    10.1002/2017JB014848
    10.1002/2017GL073717
    10.1126/science.278.5339.834
    10.1002/2014GL062876
    10.1007/BF00876528
    (I can provide more example if necessary)

missing authors:
    10.1126/science.278.5339.834
    10.1785/0120020082

incomplete journal name (solid Earth missing):
    10.1029/2004JB003191
    10.1029/2007JB005216

page: n/a-n/a
    10.1029/2011JB009071

I ve corrected these problems in my library, but I m nevertheless showing these errors for future users.
    Final question: is there a website where I can check what's in 'the DOI data registrar'?

Thomas.

• This really isn’t a problem with Zotero. Zotero just sends the DOI to CroasRef and imports whatever data CrossRef sends back (which is whatever data the publisher registered with CrossRef). Unfortunately, as you are seeing, some publishers are much less conscientious about sending accurate and complete data than others (or omitting data when it is really absent rather than filling in “na”, which is what is happening with the page numbers—that item doesn’t have page numbers).

You can check this yourself by searching for the DOI at the CrossRef website. https://search.crossref.org/?q=10.1126/science.278.5339.834

In general, the best way to import is using the Save to Zotero button in your browser toolbar from the publisher website. The Zotero developers are currently working on a function to update the metadata for existing items by going to the publisher webpage and retrieving data from there. That will be useful for the relatively rare cases where the publisher-supplied data to CrossRef is inaccurate or when it has subsequently changed after import (such as final page numbers being assigned).

That said, looking at many of the items you are listing, I don’t see any problems with import. For the first one, “The 2016 Kaikōura Earthquake Revealed by Kinematic Source Inversion and Seismic Wavefield Simulations: Slow Rupture Propagation on a Geometrically Complex Crustal Fault Network” just is the full title of the item. Same for the other items in that first group. What do you mean by “title too long”? If you want it cite just the part before the colon, that is something you should let the citation style do for you—you shouldn’t delete parts of the title from your library, as that would generate inaccurate references for many styles.

For the Journal title issues, the proper journal title for those items is just “Journal of Geophysical Redearch” (no Solid Earth). Those were published before the journal changed its name to add the subtitle. You can see this by looking at the PDFs for the articles.

@adamsmith The DOI translator should probably ignore “na” and similar when it is entered into the page fields.
  • Hi,
    Thank you for this long reponse.

1) I will now use zave to Zotero (embbed metadata). It seems to works better than using the DOI. Thx.

2) I think a function to update the metadata for existing items by going to the publisher webpage would be very useful. For instance, about one fifth of my reference imported from the DOI were partially wrong. That's not unsignificant and require a lot a manual processing.

1) title too long
    so when I m importing by DOI the first reference:

10.1002/2017GL075301

The imported paper title is:
    'The 2016 Kaikōura Earthquake Revealed by Kinematic Source Inversion and Seismic Wavefield Simulations: Slow Rupture Propagation on a Geometrically Complex Crustal Fault Network: Kaikōura Earthquake Kinematic Source'

But it should not include ': Kaikōura Earthquake Kinematic Source'

2) Solid Earth
    According to wikipedia (french), Solid Earth started being published in 1980.
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journal_of_Geophysical_Research
    This paper opens in JGR Solid earth website, and not JGR
    https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2004JB003191

google scholar cite it as:
    Andrews, D. J. (2005). Rupture dynamics with energy loss outside the slip zone. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 110(B1).

Thomas.
  • Prior to 2014, all seven sections of this journal were published as one journal. When the journal moved to Wiley in 2014, the seven sections became separate journals. It is accurate to cite the articles you list without Solid Earth, as they were published when this was all one journal (again, you can see this is the case by looking at the article PDF—“Solid Earth” is not part of the journal title in the PDF).

Per Wikipedia:
    According to the Editor-in-Chief of JGR-Space Physics, "With the switch to Wiley, the separate sections of JGR were given distinct ISSN numbers. This means that in a couple of years, each section of JGR will have its own Impact Factor."[9]

(Google Scholar is usually quite inaccurate in how it formats references, so that’s not a good source to rely on for checking.)
  • "Kaikōura Earthquake Kinematic Source" is listed in the Crossref data as a subtitle, which is why Zotero puts it after a colon in the main title.

Re: JGR, as bwiernik says, the PDF itself doesn't list "Solid Earth", but regardless, the publisher didn't include "Solid Earth" in the data they submitted to Crossref. It's included in the metadata on the article page, so if you use the Save to Zotero button there you'll get it.
  • Ok thanks.

Is there a way to modify Nature style in word to remove subtitle in the reference list?
    At the end, a much smaller portion of the paper metadata obtained from the DOI were wrong then. Good.

Thomas.
  • adding form="short" to the title will remove the subtitle, but in many cases that's very clearly incorrect, so I'd just fix the imported data where needed.