Workflow when using Pubmed, etc

I wanted to check that I am using the most efficient work-flow for pubmed.

My current strategy is:

1) Identify articles through a search
2) Pull up a specific article
3) Go to the publisher's link
4) Capture the metadata from this page into Zotero
5) Download the PDF
6) Find the metadata record for the article within Zotero
7) Attach the article to the record
8) Repeat until exhaustion (of articles, sometimes of user!)

Is there a way to do this more efficiently? This is how I learned Zotero a year or so ago and while I didn't see a way to make this smoother, you folks have been making such rapid progress that perhaps I have missed something that will make my life easier.

Many thanks,
  • Enable automatic PDF downloads & 4-7 will be done for you.

Alternatively, you might batch import the PubMed (rather than publisher) data & download/attach PDFs at some later time.
  • Thanks noksagt.

I just tried this URL:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120847915/abstract

which took me to Wiley. I confirmed that the PDF auto download was active in preferences, hit the button , and down comes the meta-data but no PDF.

I can then hit the PDF link, and up in comes in my PDF reader, but no auto download but OH how sweet that would be if it did.

My setup is pretty vanilla. KUbuntu9.05 FF 3.0.11 (sometimes 3.5), Z 2 beta 5.

Suggestions?
  • That link downloads the PDF for me. Do you have a proxy or some other eccentricity? You can also drag the PDF link onto the Zotero item.
  • Salish,

A comment as far as your workflow:
    I do step 4 (download metadata) exclusively from Pubmed.
    The reason? Different publishers = different zotero translators. A while back I realized/decided that I was getting different data from different publishers.
    I worried about uniformity of data in my bibliographies and decided to just pick up data from Pubmed from now on. At least this way the only variability comes from the evolution of Pubmed + Pubmed's Zotero translators.
    It's unfortunate as I lose the wonderful ability of downloading metadata + pdf simultaneously but I prefer the comfort of feeling the metadata is more uniform.

Perhaps someone would comment if my worries are unwarranted...

So the rest of the workflow is similar. After downloading metadata (from Pubmed), I go to publisher, download pdf, drag-and-drop into correct item in zotero (mental note: make separate thread on 2 minor GUI bugs in this regard), then right-click on pdf in zotero and do "rename according to parent" (or whatever it's called). Then delete the intermediate pdf in the my downloads folder. Obviously this could be made slightly more efficient but it's working for me right now.

-Alex
  • I agree that PubMed metadata is more consistent then publisher sites, and the translator is less likely to be broken. It also has the added benefit of pulling in the PMID, which I find indispensable in quickly and easily sharing citations with colleagues.

The best way to get a PDF from a publisher's site into a PubMed-created parent item is Zotfile. http://www.columbia.edu/~jpl2136/zotfile.html. Search the forums for more discussion of this great plugin. Here's one.

If you highlight an item in Z and hit the Zotfile button, it grabs the most recent file from your downloads folder (or other specified directory) and brings it in to Z under the highlighted item and even renames it. It also deletes the file from your downloads folder, so that the next-newest downloaded file is now the newest. This means that as long as you work in reverse chronological order, you can download a stack of PDFs and then bring them into Z one by one using Zotfile. IF you use Zotfile, take a few minutes setting the config files, it'll save you time later.