Notes and annotations previously created suddenly no longer being displayed in my library

Hey I’m fairly new to Zotero but have been using it over the past two weeks for a research assignment. During that tome I’ve been using the pdf annotation option and creating child notes on articles in my library. However, with my latest pdf, the annotations processed as if being created but didn’t appear on the library. I then noticed all my notes and annotations are not being displayed and I don’t know how to access or retrieve them now. I am using safari. Any help or guidance if any knows what is happening or if I can do something to get them to reappear would be much appreciated.
  • I'm not really sure what you're referring to here. Zotero doesn't have annotation functionality built in — you just use your preferred PDF reader for that and save back to the original file.

The third-party ZotFile plugin can extract the annotations you make to child notes in Zotero. Is that what you're referring to?
  • Yes that’s what I’m referring to. The annotations that can be created via zotfile. They were displaying as part of my library along with PDFs and child notes with a yellow icon beside them the PDFs have a blue page icon. However, the annotations files and notes with the yellow icon are no longer appearing
  • Is it possible the parent items are just collapsed and you need to expand them to see the child items?

Can you take a screenshot that shows what you're describing, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here?
  • Hi there I went to take a screenshot and your comment has helped massively... I double clicked the arrow to the left of a few articles and indeed it expanded to display notes and annotations! Thanks you so much! Being new to Zotero I don’t know how they collapsed but maybe my feed reached saturation and it compressed the display list. I’m so grateful thank you again :)
  • Items are always collapsed when you start Zotero.

You can expand all items, if you want to, by clicking in the middle pane and pressing the + key.