Text copied from a child note to another document - why are line breaks lost?

edited December 27, 2018
When I copy text from a child note to another document, the line breaks are lost. Why is this? When I export the note, e.g. to RIS, the HTML that is produced within the RIS looks fine... It might be something to do with \cM - in which case, how can I copy text preserving line breaks?
  • What program are you copying to?

It works fine for me copying to rich-text documents (e.g., Word). Copying to a plain-text document, I don't get newlines either. Unfortunately this appears to happen with stock TinyMCE as well, so there's not much we can do about it.

However, if you have a bibliographic style selected for Quick Copy and just drag the note to a plain-text editor instead, Zotero handles the note contents itself, and in that case it should get the newlines right.
  • E.g. Google docs. It should accept rtf input, but I've seen this in other circumstances (on OS X).

"Drag the note" - excellent!! That works and solves my immediate problem - in two ways:

(1) Dragging into plain text context does get the line breaks right.

(2) Dragging into Google Docs preserves the correct rtf formatting (including italics and colours).

Out of interest: In general, what is the difference between copy/paste vs. drag? I had assumed they were the same, but clearly they are not. You said with the drag, Zotero handles the content somehow?
  • With copy/paste, even though TinyMCE looks like a regular text box, you're essentially just copying from a webpage with complicated markup. The exact behavior is determined by the browser engine (Firefox in this case) and the markup used (TinyMCE).

With drag/drop, Zotero itself puts the actual note content on the clipboard as both plain text and HTML, with appropriate modifications to each for maximum compatibility with other programs.
  • Thanks - that's really helpful!