Notes Opening in New Window

I'm posting on behalf of a curator who explained the following problem to me.

For some reason, one day recently, the Notes in his Zotero client starting opening in a new window.

-When he selects a citation in his library's center column, the Notes tab on the right (next to the Info tab) no longer show the note, but just a number - something like "Note 1". There is no way for him to open up the note here.

-The note still appears embedded underneath the citation in the center column. When he double-clicks on it, the note does open up but in a new window.

He's got the most recent version of Zotero.

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.
  • That sounds like at least partially a misunderstanding. When an item is selected, the Notes tab always just shows a list of notes, and double-clicking a note in the middle pane always opens it in a separate window. So those are both perfectly normal behaviors.

But either single-clicking a note in the Notes tab or single-clicking a note in the middle pane should both display the note in the right-hand pane. If that's not working, he should make sure he's tried restarting Zotero, and if he's still having trouble we'd want to see a Report ID to start.
  • Okay thanks for clarifying; I will let the curator know that if the note is not displaying in the right-hand pane after single-clicking it, to restart Zotero or provide me with a Report ID that I can post here.