et al. for three or more authors

Hi

I keep getting all authors listed in text for up to four authors both when using APA, Chicago or CSE (Author-date). I thought three or more authors should be listed as (first author et al.)? So if five authors it will list (Mendell, Raine, Booth, Adams et al., 2017). It only does this for some citations. When I tried switching to CSE and hit update it did not change, however if I manually entered the citation again in word it changed to (first author et al., year). As soon as I hit refresh though it goes back to multiple authors in text.

Also, sometimes it lists the first name of one or more of the authors (even though I have them logged as two separate fields in my library). For example:

"...spans (T.R. Simons & Hodges, 1998). Hawaiian Petrels forage during the night and subsist primarily on squid, fish, and crustaceans displaced to the surface by schools of tuna (Theodore R. Simons, 1985)." Weirdly the latter one has also been changed to "T.R." in the library.

Same thing happens here... if I add it again manually it goes to (Simons & Hodges, 1998) and (Simons, 1985), but when I hit refresh it goes back to listing the first name. This only happens with some citations.

Would appreciate any help on this somewhat urgent matter.

Much appreciated,

Maja