BUG - zotero controls dissapear

The controls the the right of the Zotero pane (sync and toggle fullscreen mode) sometimes disappear.

I've figured out that this happens when the right pane (with Info etc) is too small (i.,e. not all 5 tabs are visible) AND an item is selected. By expanding the right pane (or selecting another collection) the controls appear.

I noticed this since update to latest beta (2.0b5).
Can send screenshots if you want.

Thanks
  • If I'm understanding you right, you have to REALLY shrink down the Firefox window before this happens, to the point where Zotero is no longer especially usable anyway. I'm sure there's a minimum size that Zotero can reasonably be expected to work at, though I couldn't tell you what it is.
  • no, this happens with Firefox filling the entire screen (1280 pix wide).

Let me explain with more clarity:

let's say that the 3 zotero panes are of equal size, the 5 tabs of the right pane (Info, Notes, Attachments, Tags, Related) are all visible, and so are the controls to the right (sync and fullscreen). If I gradually shrink the right pane, the tabs start to disappear (which is unavoidable) along with the controls to the right.

Well in fact, the entire right pane becomes unusable, what is unexpected is that the "controls to the right" are invisible, which is confusing. If one selects another collection, the right pane goes blank ("No items selected") and the controls reappear.

Perhaps there is no way of stopping this from happening, but I would expect the controls to always be visible, as there is ample space in the right pane.
  • Why shrink the right pane, one could ask? When arranging citations (in the central pane) it's nice to have more space the show different fields.

In fact, it would be nice to be able to shrink or temporarily remove the right pane, which is not possible presently.

A reflexion: perhaps the top controls should not be linked to a particular pane (just separated by rubber-space, which would eliminated this problem?
  • Are you using some funny theme? I'm finding I can't replicate this with the default theme or the other one I use. Trevor was able to with his theme, which increased the size of the tabs. i can't shrink the right pane to the point where the tabs start disappearing off the edge, much less the buttons.
  • Are you talking about Firefox themes? Which theme are you and Trevor using?

I'm using the default theme in Firefox 3.0.11 (Mozilla Firefox For Ubuntu Canonical 1.0).

Ubuntu 9.04 / Gnome 2.26,1

I tried different Gnome themes, same result.

I'll try out under Windows (Vista) and KDE see if I get the same result.