Double click opens save as...

When I double click on an item containing a pdf in my library, it opens a save as dialog instead of expanding the tree content (or opening the pdf).
To open the pdf, I have to click on "show file" (or something like that, my version is in fr), it opens the folder containing the pdf and I open it by double clicking on it.

I've had this problem since zotero 1.5 or so. Now running 2.0b5 and it still does it.

Anything I can do about that?

Thanks
  • 2.0b5 does have new behaviour that governs double-clicking. It's supposed to open the file, be it a PDF or a snapshot or what have you. I think your problem is that Firefox is not configured to open PDFs the way you want. If you go to the Firefox Preferences panel, you can go to the Applications tab and edit the default behaviour for Portable Document Format. This way you can specify whether it opens them in an external viewer or a browser plugin (if you have one installed). At the moment, it sounds like its default is to simply ask whether you want to download the file.

I'm guessing here, but that would make sense. Let me know if that's any help.
  • It's possible this would happen if you have a PDF plugin installed but still have PDFs set to prompt. If you don't have a PDF plugin installed, Zotero should just launch the file via the OS (unless there's a problem in your Firefox profile, in which case you might need to delete mimeTypes.rdf in your profile to reset all file-handling settings).
  • Alright, that makes sense. I set back my firefox application association to my favorite pdf reader. Now the thing is that usually I like to save pdfs before I watch it, so I have this setting to prompt in my ff. in the case of zotero, it is different. I want it to open the file. I understand the issue but it's a bit annoying.

Thanks anyway
  • This works perfect!
    Thanks