highlighting and underlining

All of a sudden when I use Zotero to cite a source it immediately underlines everything in my paper and changes the color. This is my Dissertation!! and I do not know what to do. This just started this morning and I have lost many pages of material because when this happens it locks out the document and anything I have previously written is not saved.
  • Neither is actual formatting.

For highlighting, see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/citations_highlighted. It won’t print—it just shows you that the text is automatically generated and shouldn’t be edited manually.

The underline just indicates that you have automatic updating disabled and that the formatting for the citation may be out of date. Open the Document Preferences window from the Zotero tab in Word and re-enable automatic updating. You likely were prompted to disable automatic updates because your dissertation is very long and it was taking a long time for Zotero to update your document each time you added a citation. If that’s the case, I recommend you leave automatic updates disabled, then press the Refresh button once when you are finished writing to do one final formatting update.