New user (moving from Endnote): how best to search databases like PubMed and ISI Web of Knowledge?

I'm considering moving to Zotero from Endnote. What is the preferred method for doing boolean searches of databases like PubMed and ISI Web of Knowledge,and importing the results of the search into my library? In Endnote, there is a search tab and we can use a very convenient combination field search (with boolean operstors) and then copy/paste the results into the library. Then there's a function that looks up full-text for any selected record, which uses my university-given login credentials for these databases to get the full-text PDFs for each one. What's the equivalent process in Zotero?
  • The equivalent in Zotero is to use the databases web interface and import from there. Zotero also has the ability to find PDF fulltexts your university subscribes to, though it only works if you're on campus currently (i.e. doing so via remote "proxy" login won't work).
  • > The equivalent in Zotero is to use the databases web interface and import from there.

do you mean to do a search on the web interfaces and then export to a file and import a file into the Zotero?

> Zotero also has the ability to find PDF fulltexts your university subscribes to

where are those set (the credentials for each library)?
  • do you mean to do a search on the web interfaces and then export to a file and import a file into the Zotero?
    that or directly import from the search interface via the "Save to Zotero" button, yes.
    where are those set (the credentials for each library)?
    no credentials. This works based on IP-based access, which is how all universities I'm aware of grant access to databases; that's why it works only on campus.
  • > that or directly import from the search interface via the "Save to Zotero" button, yes.

ah is this like an add-on to my browser, or needs to be installed inside each database's website?

> no credentials. This works based on IP-based access,

hmm, for example Web of Science has a log in, and needs me to log in even when I'm on my campus LAN.
  • ah is this like an add-on to my browser, or needs to be installed inside each database's website?
    It's a single browser add-on, see https://www.zotero.org/support/getting_stuff_into_your_library
    hmm, for example Web of Science has a log in, and needs me to log in even when I'm on my campus LAN.
    That's unusual afaik (it's certainly not the case for me) but WoS also doesn't provide full texts. You can't possibly have separate logins for every source of full text PDFs on your campus, i.e. every publisher, plus database provides such as EBSCO, ProQuest, JSTOR, Ovid, etc.
  • In my case my Uni provides a proxy (to which I have to log in) which grants me access to databases. Works with Zotero without issue.
  • though as per above -- typical proxy connections, i.e. those you authenticated with in your browser, do not currently work to find gated PDFs if you've already imported the metadata, e.g. from a catalog like PubMed or WoS.

They do work when you're importing directly from publishers, though.