Bug report D1090359204 - Problem with right click item menu - Different problem

edited November 27, 2018
Using Zotero 5.0.58 on PC with Windows 10

Similar to an early problem.
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/74800/bug-with-right-click-item-menu#latest

Trying to "View PDF"

Instead get "Show File"

The "Show File" option does indeed show the file.
  • Stopping and restarting Zotero doesn't fix the problem. The action of the "View PDF" option seems to be hung on "Show File"
  • edited November 27, 2018
    > Stopped Zotero and rebooted system

> Zotero still throws up a window looking for a file.

> I tried to view a different PDF file and Zotero found that file.

> I reasoned that the file location of the first file might be the problem. (But I didn't get the "Missing file dialog" window, just a window showing a file list...)

> Use Windows to looked in Windows directories and found file that was "missing."

> Went back to Zotero and put the linked file that was having a problem in the trash.

> Tried to create a new linked file and selected the file name.

>> Zotero database is stored in "This PC > Documents > Zotero"

>> Have all my PDF files in a directory "This PC > Documents > Zotero > references"

> When I selected the pdf file named "yadayada.pdf" file Zotero changed the name of the directory with the PDF files to "This PC > Documents > Zotero > yadayada.pdf"

@#$%^&*()

Played around some more.

> Noticed the two directories set in the Preferences dialog both reverted back to what they were when I installed Zotero on my new PC. (Haven't used Zotero in quite a while, and then on a different PC.) Tried resetting them.

Then common sense kicked it.

> At this point I'm making backups of the data directory "This PC > Documents > Zotero". My previous backup is about a week old work wise. :-(

I'll calm down and work on this tomorrow. Think I'm going to uninstall Zotero, and install a new copy. Don't know why that should help since all the Zotero data is stored in the Zotero data directory which is totally separate.
  • Ok. made backups.

Before I download a new copy of Zotero, I'm doing some more poking around.

> When I had tried the "View PDF" option on the bad PDF file attachment the file selection window was weird. I didn't realize at the time what was happening but:

>> the header line only had the word "references" in it.

>> Just a list of files. At the bottom of the activated window the entry field to type in a name & the "Open" and "Cancel" keys were missing.

> After selecting the file name yadyada.pdf in "Preferences> Advanced>Files and Folders" both the base directory and the data directory location were set to the default C:\Users\PC Owner\Zotero.
  • Ok. In in "Preferences> Advanced>Files and Folders" reset both the base directory and the data directory location were set to C:\Users\PC Owner\Documents\Zotero.

Seems to be working again.

> Emptying the trash which has bad link.

> I was able to remake the messed up link and it now works.

Whew....
  • I don't really know what you're saying here, but, to be clear, the base directory absolutely shouldn't be set the same as the data directory.
  • The gist

> Did a right mouse click on book item in list of books in the "My Library" collection.

> When I go the menu I selected view PDF but got a window that looked like the window that I got for view "Show File"

>Manually looked for file in my file directory that has all my PDF files.

>> Zotero database is stored in "C:\Users\PC Owner\Documents\Zotero"

>> Have all my PDF files in a directory "C:\Users\PC Owner\Documents\Zotero\references"

> So I deleted the "bad" PDF link in Zotero and tried to make a new one.

> I selected the file name yadyada.pdf from the dialog window, but Zotero for some unknown reason used that name to rename the directory with my pdf files from "C:\Users\PC Owner\Documents\Zotero\references" to "C:\Users\PC Owner\Documents\Zotero\yadyada.pdf"

> That cause some internals of Zotero to abort and in the "Preferences> Advanced>Files and Folders" dialog both the base directory and the data directory location were reset to C:\Users\PC Owner\Documents\Zotero, which was the default at installation. Not were I had loaded my old Zotero 4x library.

Now after some swizzling things seem to be working again.
  • edited November 27, 2018
    C:\Users\PC Owner\Documents\Zotero, which was the default at installation
    That's not the default data directory — "Zotero" in the home directory is — and there is no default Linked Attachment Base Directory.

The only way for the base directory to be set is for you to set it manually.

The base directory should never be set to the same directory as the data directory. (If that's currently allowed, it should be blocked.)