Intermitant "error updating your document"

I'm a new Zotero user, and I'm experiencing the following intermittent error.

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
The operation couldn't be completed.
(OSStatus error -1728.) @[setTextRaw:field.m:436]

This error comes up every so often, when I try to insert a citation on a Word document - maybe every third or fourth citation. If I try again to insert the exact same citation it usually works. Then a couple of citations later, the exact same error. It doesn't seem to matter which reference I'm inserting (ie: it's not always Smith, 2001 - could be any reference). Everything else seems to work fine. I've tried reformatting the document to a different citation style, but that doesn't seem to matter. Neither does closing and opening the document, or rebooting the computer. I originally used RefWorks to do my citations on this document (don't get me started...), but all of those references should be removed (don't know if there's any stray, hidden codes, but it seems too random to be that).

I'm working in Word for Mac, version 16.16.4. Zotero is 5.0.58. There's a 60% chance of rain today.

Thanks!
  • I'd suggest starting by updating Word for Mac to the latest version and seeing if it still occurs. If it does, we really won't be able to help until you manage to find a pattern or a piece of text that's causing the error consistently.
  • 16.16.4 is the latest version of the non-subscription Word 2016, so the Debugging Broken Documents steps will probably be necessary here.