Store zotero folder remotely

I have webdav space and sync my zotero folder to it (to back up). I also have an acer aspire one running linux which I sometimes use to access my research but which doesn't really have much space for storing all the pdfs, etc. Is it possible to set an online (webdav?) folder as my zotero storage folder, such that when I have internet access I can access my zotero info as I do when I'm at home, but I don't have to store it all on my laptop?

Thanks for any help

Simon
  • If you can map the web folder into your local file system, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

http://sysblogd.wordpress.com/2007/09/09/ubuntu-mounting-remote-filesystem-using-davfs2-fuse/

You can also run davfs2 in Debian. Maybe some other distros. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems like it should do what you want.

You might also consider running Firefox off a thumb drive. Depending on how much space you need, that might suffice.
  • Cheers ahoward. I'm not ignoring the response - it looks like a sound idea. My issues with running off a thumb drive are 1) it's slow, 2) I'd have to sync my main pc to the thumb drive periodically and 3) I have a fairly large archive. For a lot of people I imagine the thumb drive option is a much more sensible way of doing things though - saves setting up webdav aside from anything else.

I need to work out how to set up davfs2 on linpus (modified by acer for their aspire one)...or alternatively install a distro I know how to use a bit more! If I manage to do it I'll try and remember to report back though.

Cheers

Simon