Zotero Google Docs not refreshing/saving

Working on a shared doc with 150 citations (a lot in know). But when manually refreshing, this error comes up.

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Too many changes applied before saving document. Please save changes in smaller batches using Document.saveAndClose(), then reopen the document with Document.openById().
"
  • Sorry about this. We have a fix coming in the pipeline, but it's a fragile change code-wise and we've been working to make sure it doesn't accidentally break existing documents. We should have an update this week.
  • edited November 13, 2018
    @hsr4888 We have published the fix for the Zotero Connector beta for Firefox. You will be prompted to authenticate Zotero with your Google Account and might get a scary screen saying the app is unverified. We are in the process of verifying the Beta version of the Google docs addon with Google, so you should click "Advanced" in the bottom of that screen and click "Go to zotero.org (unsafe)", then finish the authentication procedure normally.

Note that the first refresh of your document is likely to be very slow (up to 1hr), but with the fix subsequent updates of the document will be much faster (a couple of minutes).
  • I am getting the same error message in a google doc.

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Too many changes applied before saving document. Please save changes in smaller batches using Document.saveAndClose(), then reopen the document with Document.openById()."

The error occurs when I am editing the google doc (in Chrome or Firefox - am using the Connector 5.0.50Beta3) and try to insert a citation. I get the quick format citation prompt, select the citation I want (I have tried multiple citations) and then it get stuck with the green bar and the above error message.
  • @morgand73 Try with the Firefox Connector beta again. It will take a while, but you should not be seeing this error message in Firefox Connector beta at all.
  • Hi

I just tried it again a got the same error message after about 20 min of waiting. This is a screenshot of the error
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gAOIV_90kuloc1ODnice0hQI67MFzw1j

This is a screen shot of the connector version
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sZsGwMK5oSEM68nhw8HpSVrUVw3Lof7d
  • edited November 20, 2018
    I looked into the doc that you shared with us and it seems that some other extension you are using is adding a tremendous amount of data to the document, which is preventing the Zotero Connector from working properly.

Unfortunately the data added by the other extension along with Google Docs quirks put the Zotero citations in the document into an unrecoverable state. If you want to continue using Zotero in the document you will have to reinsert the Zotero citations. The only way to remove all underlying document data is to select the text of the document (CTRL-a), copy it and paste into a new Google Docs document. Your browser might freeze for a moment while copying and pasting the large amount of data. You should also not use other extensions with the document and possibly need to disable them completely. It is recommended to stay on the Firefox Connector beta until we push the fixes from it to the main release since it will provide better performance in certain scenarios and might prevent future issues like these even when using other gdocs extensions.
  • Thanks, I will try that. BTW the only other add-on we have in Docs is "Table of Contents" https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/table-of-contents/ickpeaanccmmabadbfiknbobkmkdnnaj?utm_source=permalink

This error has happened with another large document of ours and in both instances we used suggesting mode in Google docs. So that may have something to do with it too.
  • I am seeing a lot of fields with names like "__toc____toc__ Municipal Roles in Open Spaces" and "__toc____toc__ Sports fields", so the extension is likely the culprit.