Double date - two years - for (modern) classics

edited November 12, 2018
For (modern) classics, then, according to the webpage at
https://writeanswers.royalroads.ca/faq/199084
the APA 6th style proposes - for citations/references - the following date format:

(Freud, 1900/1953, p. X).
(James, 1890/1983).

In reality, the above is two dates: Before the slash is the date of the work’s original publication/printing. After the slash is the date of the consulted publication/printing of the work.

The website I pointed to above does not seem to quote what APA 6th says about how such sources should be formatted in the APA Reference list. But it does anyhow, for (Freud 1900/1953) suggest the following design:

Freud, S. (1953). The method of interpreting dreams: An analysis of a specimen dream. In J. Strachey (Ed. & Trans.), The standard edition of the complete psychological works of Sigmund Freud (Vol. 4, pp. 96-121). Retrieved from http://books.google.com/books (Original work published 1900)

And, to follow that design, the (James, 1890/1983) should probably look like this:

James, W. (1983). The principles of psychology. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press. (Original work published 1890)

However, me thinks that perhaps it would be acceptable to use the same dating styling in the Reference List as well:

James, W. (1890/1983). The principles of psychology. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press.

At any rate:

I have tried to enter two years in the Date field - e.g. "1900/1953". However, this did not give the expected results whether in the citation or in the reference list. The only effect I saw was that the date before the slash was used both in citation and in reference list.

Question: How can Zotero be made to support the use case mentioned above - or does it allready somehow support it?
  • add
    original-date: 1890 to the Extra field in Zotero (Original date: 1890 also works, up to you). APA style output will then look correctly.
    Note that this isn't implemented properly in all citation style in Zotero, mostly in the most common ones such as APA, ASA, Chicago.
  • edited November 12, 2018
    Cool. Thanks! That works - in APA at least.

But as for correctly: I notice that, for the Reference List, it is the English text 'Original work published' that is used. Apparently this feature has not been localized yet. (Tested Norwegian and German styles.)

By the way - since we are on the topic of the Extra field: Is there a list somewhere of other such extensions that one can add in the extra field?

For example, I read in one APA guide that one may use [xxxx] for "a known date but which is not printed in the publication". Is there a code for that too? For instance "known-date: 1890" or similar? This would then result in (Doe, [1890]), for instance.
  • edited November 12, 2018
    You can enter any CSL variable into Extra. See https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/item_types_and_fields#citing_fields_from_extra for details.

Variables entered in Extra like this will get picked up by citation styles that support them.

Regarding dates, you can enter uncertain dates in Extra as:
    Issued: ~1810
    or
    Issued: 1810?
  • And, yes, CSL currently does not have terms to localize "Original work published", but this would be an easy change to make with a custom version of the style. Just change that phrase, then change the style title and id at the top of the style, save, and install into Zotero.