Word add-in installation appears broken on Windows 10

I have started seeing some new messages about protected folders - including blocking activity when I attempted to disable the word for windows extension (under Extensions in the Add-ons manager in Zotero).

I was able to manually install the Zotero.dtm file using the developer add-on manager. As-is, functionality seems broken (I can only open up one random collection of citations irrespective of where the cursor is - specifically citations 8-10 open NO MATTER where the cursor is).

Wondering if anyone else has experienced similar? Happy to provide more details.
  • I should add that the add-in for word had previously been installed and was working fine. The Zotero tab simply disappeared (just saw this today).
  • Could you describe exactly what changed in your system, what steps you took and where did you run into problems, how you solved them and what is the current issue?
  • edited November 12, 2018
    It's Windows 10, Word (2016 Pro), and MS Defender. All do updates without telling me. I am running latest, presumably (but not the pulled October update).

Zotero was working fine a little over two weeks ago.

Zotero disappeared from the ribbon. Tried all debugging steps here: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting

That helped me set up the Developer tab on the ribbon, which lets me manually install Zotero.dotm. Now, when I run Word, Zotero is deactivated, but I can check the box next to it in the Add-ons pane in the developer options. So, it's workable, but degraded / disabled by default.

Many times did I also reboot.
  • Instead of adding Zotero via the Add-on dialog in Word you should make sute Zotero.dotm is in the Word startup folder. See https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation
  • Will do. I'm booted into Linux now and trying to actually get some work done. I'll post back here to let you know if that worked or not.