Zotero Connector (Firefox) not saving a reference

I tried to save to my Zotero 5.0.58 this reference (https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1365-2745.12349) but the Zotero Connector addon 5.0.49 in my Firefox 63.0.1 is not doing anything. The dbug ID is D1937690194. The "save to Zotero" icon in the upper right corner is gray though by clicking it I get my Zotero folder structure visible. If I try to save the reference, nothing happens. As the problem reference is to a journal (Journal of Ecology) by Wiley, I checked another Wiley Journal (Ecography). There the "save to Zotero" icon was equally grey but by clicking it and waiting some seconds the window showed, contrary to Journal of Ecology, icons both for a snapshot and for a pdf and also did save the reference to Zotero. I checked also some other articles in the Journal of Ecology and it seems that the problem is in that particular journal. Anything I can do for fixing the problem?
  • edited November 12, 2018
    That page saves fine for me.

First, the icon should be a white page with writing on it, and it should say "Wiley Online Library" when you hover over it. If that's not happening, can you provide a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector for loading the page and trying to save? (The output you provided seems to only show clicking the button after the page has already been loaded, and I believe after you've already tried to save once.)
    by clicking it I get my Zotero folder structure visible
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. When you save, the Zotero Connector shows a popup window with the items that are being saved, and if you click the down arrow it will expand to show you your collections so that you can choose where to save the item. Once you've saved a page, if you click the icon again without reloading the page, it will just show the same popup again.
  • The icon is a white paper with text. When I click the icon, I can see in the popup window the collection (I used the term folder in my previous message, sorry for the wrong term) that is currently open in my Zotero. The down arrow shows all the collections. But the crucial thing that is missing is the name of the reference and below it the words "snapshot" and "Full text pdf". Those are not visible and, logically, the Zotero Connector is not able to save anything in any of my collections. So, I repeat my initial question. Is there anything I can do for fixing the problem?
  • We don't quite know what's wrong yet, so it's hard to say whether and how to fix it (it imports correctly for me, so it's not a general issue).

If you hover over the Save to Zotero button, what does it say exactly?
  • It says: "Save to Zotero (Wiley Online Library)". I checked two other journals of the British Ecological Society (Functional Ecology and Journal of Applied Ecology) and they behave exactly equally–no possibilities to save references to Zotero. Then I checked one other Wiley journal, Diversity and Distributions, and there the saving went without problems. So, it seems that the problem somehow relates to the British Ecological Society.

I also asked my colleague to try the same thing. For her, the saving works just fine. Her mac has the system 10.12 (Sierra) and mine is 10.11 (el Capitan). I think I'll change to a newer system. Perhaps it helps.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID from the connector for a save attempt that doesn't work?
  • Sure, here is the debug ID: D406133472. I actually included one already in my first message, so either one should do. At least if I've understood correctly the logic of generating a debug ID. :-)
  • edited November 13, 2018
    I actually included one already in my first message, so either one should do.
    I addressed that above — the first one you provided, and this one too, seems to show you clicking the save button after you already tried to save, which simply reopens the existing popup.

1) Enable debug output logging.
    2) On the Wiley page, reload the page and wait for the journal article icon to appear.
    3) Try to save.
    4) Submit the debug output.
  • Oh, sorry, there's more output further down in this second one, so never mind — we'll review this.
    Wait, no, there's way too much here — it looks like you had this enabled for hours. We need debug output for a single reload and page save, so make sure you clear the output immediately before and submit it immediately after.
    OK, I think I was able to get enough out of this.

On the Wiley page in your browser, if you click on Tools → Export citation, and then choose RIS and "Indirect import", do you see something that begins with "TY - JOUR"?
  • Yes I do. A rather long text of bibliographic information with the Summary as the next to last item before a line where there is only "ER –" and nothing else.
  • Sorry, it's actually the BibTeX that's relevant here. do you see some text beginning with @article if you choose that instead of RIS?

There's a bit more we could debug here if necessary, but I'd recommend first trying the Troubleshooting Translator Errors steps. For some reason your Zotero Connector seems to be getting empty BibTeX when it tries to save, but this is working for us.
  • Resolved! Thanks for the hint about the Troubleshooting Translator Errors. The problem was that I had in the preferences of my browser (Firefox), the third-party cookies set to block all of them. When I switched it to block only trackers, then the saving of the references from the British Ecological Society journals started to work just fine. Many thanks for your patience and prompt answers!