bookmarklet save pdf leads to need to restart zotero

I'm simply using the pdf bookmarklet to save to zotero, when I go to zotero to find the pdf, I see the message "An error has occurred. Please restart zotero.

I have logged an error report: 2085360902.
  • [JavaScript Error: "DB.getCollection(...) is null" {file: "chrome://zotero-better-bibtex/content/BetterBibTeX.itemPane.js" line: 78047}]
    Try disabling BBT. If that fixes it, you'll need to report this to the BBT developer.

(Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "pdf bookmarklet". Do you really mean the bookmarklet, or do you mean the Zotero Connector?)
  • Thanks. Unfortunately it's frustratingly intermittent, so I can't guarantee that BBT is the problem just by removing it. I will have a go on Wednesday to see if I can really nail it down ...

(Sorry, yes the Zotero Connector ... trying to do too many things in parallel this morning, failed bug report 101 there ... )
  • Are you sure you're on the latest version of BBT? A line count of the javascripts in BBT gives me this:

737 content/BetterBibTeX.ErrorReport.js
    95 content/BetterBibTeX.ExportOptions.js
    70 content/BetterBibTeX.FirstRun.js
    76 content/BetterBibTeX.ItemPane.js
    29 content/BetterBibTeX.js
    29 content/BetterBibTeX.KeyManager.js
    401 content/BetterBibTeX.Preferences.js
    265 content/BetterBibTeX.TestSupport.js
    182 content/BetterBibTeX.ZoteroPane.js
    109055 content/common.js
    157 content/webpack.js

so there's no line 78047 in BetterBibTeX.itemPane.js
  • To be even more specific, BetterBibTeX.itemPane.js (lowercase itemPane) has not existed in BBT in a very long time. This must be a pretty old version of BBT -- before Februari 2018 at the least.
  • Thanks. That's really helpful. I thought it was auto updating, and never checked (in my defence I would normally have done so, but this in the process of migrating to a new laptop, and so many things have broken I have clearly failed to do due process). I have now updated, and will assume it's ok. I'll come back here if not, but meanwhile let's assume it'll be fine. Sorry for (presumably) wasting everyone's time.
  • It's possible you participated in the BBT 5.x beta (which makes February plausible); those didn't auto-update in the early days. The released BBT does auto-update, so if you install 5.1.7 it will keep updated from that point on.