Non-responsive buttons in Word

When I attempt to insert a citation into word, it seems like a window flashes, but nothing actually opens. All Office software is updated; Zotero version 5.0.57. The icons are there in Word, etc, just the buttons are not responsive. I have followed instructions for manually installing the add-on and am aware of the help page at https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting; I have attempted to implement the solutions regarding non-responsive buttons but I can't figure out how to try this option:

"Windows plugins communicate with Zotero using the remote window. Thus, launching Zotero with the -no-remote command-line option will prevent the plugins from functioning. (You might do this accidentally if you have multiple Zotero profiles.) The solution is to remove the -no-remote command-line option from the shortcut used to launch the Zotero profile (this flag should never be used with Zotero)."

How do I "remove the -no-remote command-line option...."?

Thank you very much.
  • I don’t think the -no-remote flag is relevant here.

Right click on the Zotero icon on your desktop and choose Properties. Do you see -no-remote at the end of the file path to the Zotero program? If not, then this won’t be the issue.

Do you have the Zotero app open when you click the buttons in Word? That is necessary.
  • edited November 9, 2018
    Thank you very much for your comment. I did as you instructed, and I do not see the "-no-remote" at the end of the file path. I had not realized I could view options by right clicking on this icon (embarassing) and am wondering if I missed an opportunity here to verify administrator versus other user access. Could that be the problem? Is it possible I need to edit permissions so that I have full control, and not just the computer administrator? Thank you again, I really appreciate it.
    Edit - and yes, I have the app open when I am clicking the buttons in word. Thanks.
  • Another tidbit of information: I noticed when I attempt to use the buttons in Word, what happens depends on whether Firefox is open. If it is not open, the firefox icon flashes and then nothing further happens. If Firefox is open, nothing at all happens.
    The fact that Firefox is involved at all is quite strange. You've tried re-installing the Word add-on from the "Cite" tab, right?

If so, could you send a debug ID from Zotero that covers trying to insert a citation?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • Yes, I've tried reinstalling and it always says its successful.

Before I wasn't able to do the Debug ID process but I just got it to work. It is
    D2065673086.

As I am trying to use Zotero right now I will also note, for lack of a better way of explaining it, that the windows on my screen are sort of visually jittering right now.

Thank you.
  • Thanks. And this is on Windows or Mac?
  • Windows. I had the IT person at university verify that I had no outstanding updates too I should have mentioned (just did 2018-10 cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4462933)).

Thank you.
  • I am getting the exact same issue described here, this is my debug id (D1178301680).

Please note:
    >> Word Plugin Installed via Zotero 5.0.57 add-in
    >> Button are unresponsive and firefox flashes.
    >> I also reinstalled the firefox addon which did not fix the issue.
    >> I also performed a manual word installation and same issue persists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Windows 7 running Office 2013
    @vernet: I'm not sure why you're referring to Firefox here — that doesn't have anything to do with word processor integration in the current version of Zotero, which is a standalone program.

But from your debug output it looks like the Word plugin is disabled in Zotero:
    Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.9.SA.5.0.57, extension, disabled)
    Re-enable it from Tools → Add-ons → Extensions, and then, with Word closed, reinstall the plugin into Word from the Cite pane of the preferences.

Edit: Oh, I see that @Smusgrape also referred to Firefox flashing. My best guess is that you still have an old version of the integration plugin installed in Word, and that's somehow activating Firefox. You should remove Zotero.dot and/or Zotero.dotm completely from your Word startup folder, make sure the plugin is gone from Word, and then reinstall it from Zotero.
  • @dstillman Thank you for your response!

I will do this when i get to my work computer next week. At my home PC, Windows 10, Office 16 there are no issues

Also, as a point to note. At my work PC, I performed the manual installation where I copied the file from the install folder to my local MS Word folder as per the directions.
  • Thanks for replies! I did as you said above - deleted it from my Word startup folder, verified that it was gone from Word, and then I reinstalled it (again, it said successful), but same thing is still happening.