Problem with Zotero Connector

Hi,
Since my last update (October 24th) my zotero connector seems to have vanished from my Firefox toolbar. When I go to the firefox module page it appears amongst the added modules, but the Z logo doesn't. It doesn't seem like it's not working though (no error message or anything like that, only the Z logo missing). I have tried to download the connector again, but I can't: the download starts, I click "Authorize" and then "Add" but an error message appears "Zotero Connector couldn't be installed because a file can't be modified by Firefox" (This is my own translation from French - sorry for the inaccuracy).
The standalone is working perfectly well, only I can't add references from the web. I have to type them manually each time so it's really unconvenient.
I can't get any sense of what I read about Firefox module problems on the zotero page, but I was using both Zotero and Firefox (with automatic updates) without any problems prior to last week so I don't think it can relate to the changes that happened in 2017.
Can anyone help me please ? Thank you very much !
  • If the Zotero add-on doesn't install in a current version of Firefox, that's almost certainly something wrong with your Firefox. Can you install other add-ons?
  • Thank you Adamsmith. I have Adblock running, Avast and the google scholar button. All of them are working OK.
  • I also just installed Cookie Autodelete and no problem...
  • What's the exact error message in French you're getting when trying to re-install the addon?
  • it says "Zotero Connector n'a pas pu être installé car un fichier n'a pas pu être modifié par Firefox".
    Thank you
  • Yeah, that'd be a Firefox problem, so you'd be better off trying Firefox support channels. But you should make sure you have the latest version of Firefox, and you should test whether any security software you're running might be interfering.
  • Hi again,
    So, I haven't found any solution to my problem yet. I made sure I have the latest version of Firefox (Quantum). How should I proceed to check the security softwares as you suggest? I am only using Avast. Also the problem appeared when I updated Zotero, not Firefox... Thank you in advance for your help.
  • I would try closing Firefox and deleting the 'extensions' folder and all extensions.* files in your Firefox profile directory. You can also try temporarily disabling Avast. For a more extreme solution, you can refresh Firefox.

If none of that helps (which would be surprising), you'll need to debug this through the Firefox support channels. The Zotero Connector is just a standard Firefox extension, and this is an error message from Firefox.
  • Thank you dstillman ! It works now !!