Word plugin doesn't work with Zotero Firefox extention 2.0b5

Hello,
I'm using Word 2003, the latest Zotero Word plugin (i think it's 1.04a or something like that) and Zotero Firefox extention 2.0b5 in Windows XP. When I attempt to use the Zotero toolbar in Word, I get the following message:

"This version of the Zotero Word plugin ($INTEGRATION_VERSION) is incompatible withe the curently installed version of the Zotero Firefox extension (2.0b5). Please ensure you are using the latest versions of both components."

Is my combination of components simply incompatible? Other posters on the forum seem to get further than this when they report errors.
  • You should use 1.0b4:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation#word_processor_plugins_for_zotero_2.0_beta
    You could try the manual installation instructions as well to make sure you delete the old version.
  • Actually i did have 1.0b4, my bad, but i tried manually installing it this time and it works fine now. Deleting the old version seems to have been the problem. Dragging and dropping the new file into the word STARTUP folder could not delete the old file automatically (i.e. saying 'yes' to the standard windows prompt "would you like to replace X with Y?"), and I think that is exactly what went wrong with the automatic installer. Once i got rid of the old file manually, the new one pasted itself properly and everything works. I shouldn't have been so lazy as to use the automatic installer! Thanks for your quick reply Rintze!
  • Arrrrg!

I read this and though I would try the new Zotero beta

now the Word addin is broken and keeps telling me there is an error communicating with Zotero - make sure Firefox is open.

Firefox is open and I tried the manual install as well as restarting everything and still I cant get Word find Zotero! Im useing Word 2007.

Help - I need to finish this paper!!!!
  • OK, I updated firefox
    then deleted and reinstalled the Word plugin 1.04b
    and then copied the Doc into a new doc
    saved and reopened and all seems to work now.

whewww - Close one....
  • Ah ha!

i had the same problem as Sab. Had an existing document, updated Zotero to 2.0 and the word plugin to 1.04b. When adding a new citation, it told me that it was not communicating with Firefox.

This was fixed by:
    1 - Deleting the Zotero toolbar
    2 - Reinstalling 1.04b
    3 - copying my original document into a new word document, and saving it as new.

whew is right.