Recommended correction for the Greek language

In the field "accessed on [Date]" there should be a couple of corrections for the Greek language.

First, we use the articles "στη" or "στις" before the date.
When it's the first of a month we use "στη" (Ανακτήθηκε στη 1 Οκτωβρίου 2018).
From the second of the month and on we use "στις" (Ανακτήθηκε στις 2, 3, ..., 31 Οκτωβρίου 2018).

Second, in dates we use the genitive case for months.
For example, accessed on October 28, 2018 should be "Ανακτήθηκε στις 28 Οκτωβρίου 2018" (instead of "Ανακτήθηκε 27 Οκτώβριος 2018").
Here are all the genitive cases for months in Greek, starting from January.
Ιανουαρίου, Φεβρουαρίου, Μαρτίου, Απριλίου, Μαΐου, Ιουνίου, Ιουλίου, Αυγούστου, Σεπτεμβρίου, Οκτωβρίου, Νοεμβρίου, Δεκεμβρίου.

Hope that helps :)

P.S. About my first recommendation I am checking with a linguistics forum, to see if there is an exception for academic texts and I'll get back to you.
  • edited October 27, 2018
    Update!

After looking at some Greek University guides, I see there is no article before date, BUT I see a comma before year (Ανακτήθηκε 28 Οκτωβρίου, 2018)!

Second recommendation is still valid!

Examples here http://espa-ye5.eap.gr/sites/default/files/AΡΑ_ver2.pdf (page 7)
  • edited October 27, 2018
    One more recommendation for in-text citations.

When there are two sources for the same info (e.g. Argyle & Beit-Hallahmi, 1975; Cohen & Hill, 2007), the Greek equivalent for semicolon is "·" (it's called Greek ano teleia). Semicolon is the Greek question mark!

There's no assigned key in the keyboard. The shortcut for it is 0387 Alt+X (just type 0387, hit Alt+X and it automatically turns to dot above).

Alternatively, you may use a full stop, but typically we use Greek ano teleia.
  • Hey, one more request for APA in Greek.
    When there are more than one papers from the same author in the same year, the differentiation should be made using Greek letters (α instead of a, β instead of b etc). I am giving you the first 5 letters, they should be enough.
    α, β, γ, δ, ε
    (I am not sure what happens after that, since the 6th letter in Greek alphabet is ζ, but when we use letters to serialise we use στ as a 6th indicator and ζ as a 7th...)
  • The letters used is not configurable currently, but we may be able to do something. Can you provide a full series?
  • edited April 1, 2019
    I am sorry for the late response.
    It is highly unlikely that I can get a justified answer from my professors as for which serialisation, modern Greek alphabet vs ancient Greek numbers (which are practically a letter combination), is appropriate in APA style.

In official papers, though, we use the ancient Greek numbers, which go as follows
    α, β, γ, δ, ε, στ, ζ, η, θ, ι (these represent numbers 1 to 10)
    For numbers bigger than these we combine the above letters
    ια, ιβ, ιγ, ιδ, ιε, ιστ, ιζ, ιη, ιθ, κ (κ stands for 20)
    κα, κβ, etc.

Hope this helps!

PS. Please remember to add the Greek ano teleia (it's the equivalent of English semicolon).
  • One more thing I noticed. Book edition is 1η, 2η 3η etc (instead of 1ο, 2ο ...)