How to convert zotero references and biblography in Word document to EndNote?

Hi mates,

Need your help on this issue. I am writing a research proposal and managing my references with Zotero. I now need to convert all those in-text references and biblography to EndNote format. I also have EndNote installed but cannot manage to do anything on Word with it. EndNote does not detect or affect the Zotero references in Word document, even though I have the same library in EndNote. It will take a lot of time to manually put the references via EndNote. Please help.
  • You can use a note style (instead of the author-date/numeric style you're currently using) and then choose endnotes or footnotes within Word.

Plenty of styles to choose from: https://www.zotero.org/styles?format=note
  • I think the question is about EndNote the software, not about Endnotes in Word? In that case, there's nothing you can do, I'm afraid. Endnote uses its own proprietary technology to insert references in Word and Zotero can't read EndNote citations and EndNote can't read Zotero's, sorry.
  • Thanks Adamsmith, now I understand better. Alright, the reason I am required to convert citations to EndNote style is that, EndNote has very distinctive good looking format of biblography in APA 6th edition. In Zotero, I get very line spaced biblography in APA 6th edition. In my opinion, EndNote does it better when it comes to APA 6th edition biblography.

Is there any way that I can modify the citation style of Zotero to match EndNote concerning APA 6th edition.

Best regards
  • Zotero should produce bibliographies as described in the APA manual of style, i.e. double spaced and indented. If that's not the case, could you try switching to (any) different style and back?

@adomasven -- this appears to be a recurring issue and it's always with APA style. Any idea what might be going on?
  • Hi Adamsmith, you are right. I am getting double spacnad indented references. I noticed that some references in bibliography are having DOI, which is making the overall look of bibliography complicated to the eyes. I understand that if it is supposed to be like this, but APA 6th edition biblography style is not so comforting to look and grasp.

I have had instances where people thought my biblography looked funny.

One fix might be that I remove DOI. Is there a way to remove all DOIs from biblography? I am guessing that will require me to modify the APA 6th edition style? But then it will be counted as tempering with the orignal APA 6th edition. Your thoughts on this?

Also please recommend me a citation style you find best and good looking. I am using APA 6th edition for last 8 years though.
  • I think leaving out DOIs is a terrible idea, but there is a style that does that: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:apa-no-doi-no-issue
  • @farooqm The APA Manual very strongly indicates that DOIs should always be included if they are available. They provide readers with a persistent way to access the article, making it the single most important part of the reference.
  • Thanks adamsmit and thanks bwiernik. I will always include DOIs now in the list of references. I hope the reviewers of my papers understand that as well.