Word extension not showing up?

Hi! Weird problem my husband and I have been trying to solve for over an hour.

I just got a new Mac laptop and I installed Zotero. Got the plugin running for Word, but when I choose "Add/Edit Citation" it says that it can't connect to Zotero and to be sure it's running-- which it definitely is.

After sifting around and trying to troubleshoot, we checked the extensions section, and the only thing there is LibreOffice-- can't find the Word extension and can't seem to find anywhere to install it. Help a grad student pls. :(
  • What versions of all relevant software (Zotero, Word, MacOS) do you have installed?
  • Zotero: 5.0.56
    Word: 16.8
    Mac OS: 10.13.06
  • For Word, do you actually mean 16.8 (which I'm not sure ever existed, but if it did, you'd need to update) or 16.18 (which is the current version)?
  • Yes! sorry, typo.
  • OK, so the problem is the lack of the Word add-on in Zotero. That should just be there. First thing would be to just try restarting Zotero.

Next -- you're not starting Zotero from the disk image on Mac, right? In other words, you _are_ dragging the .dmg file to the applications folder, not opening the .dmg file directly? (Zotero should throw a warning if you do this) That's the only reason I'm aware of we've recently seen a failure to show the Word add-on.

If it's neither of these, I'd just try re-installing Zotero (we don't typically recommend this, but might help here). That won't touch any data that you have in Zotero, so is pretty painless.
  • Ah I was opening it from the wrong place!! Thank you so much for your help. :)
  • And Zotero didn't display a warning when you opened it?