LO: Adding citation with "non-English" characters in manually formatted text will reset formatting

When adding an in-text citation in LibreOffice in a paragraph which has been manually formatted (i.e. not defined via Styles and Formatting) it will reset the formatting if the authors name contains any character that is not in the "normal" English alphabet (ä, á, I've also checked the unicode character U+1F602).

Example: Text is set to 16 pt. If then a citation with the author name "Authör" is added, starting with the character ö all the text will be formatted as defined in Standard (usually 12 pt).
I hope I explained the problem clear enough.

Although manually formatting should be avoided anyway I think this behaviour is unintended.

LibreOffice 6.0.6.2, Zotero LibreOffice Integration 5.0.14, Zotero 5.0.56

Btw: In Zotero preferences the LO Plugin is shown a not installed, although it is and I'm using it with LO. Pressing the reinstall button does not change that.
  • LibreOffice does not provide a way to insert unicode characters without resetting text formatting, which is why this happens. We are aware of it, but until LO improves their API we are out of options.
    In Zotero preferences the LO Plugin is shown a not installed, although it is and I'm using it with LO. Pressing the reinstall button does not change that.
    We'll look into that