error message 398468093

Hello,
I'm new to Zotero. I just got an error message that said to post this number to the forum. I'm not sure if this is the correct spot. I tried to Sync Zotero. I now see the error message: Child items cannot be assigned to collections
I don't know what this means. Should I be concerned? I know I just read a paper and did some highlighting. I tried to save the file in the same spot as the original so that it would replace the original. However, when I re-opened the paper to check to see if it saved the highlighting - there was no highlighting. So perhaps this was the cause? I then tried to sync Zotero to see if it would find the document and then received this error message.
Thanks for your help.
Erin
  • Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a sync attempt that produces that?

You should then try restarting Zotero if you haven't yet to see if that helps.
  • Hello, I wasn't sure what was meant by Debug ID so I tried syncing again to see if there was a reference to a Debug ID. I didn't see anything but I did get the following message. I then clicked on your linked reference to Debug ID and see that I need to do something different. I will do that as well and send you the info next.
    Thanks,
    Erin
    [JavaScript Error: "Error 400 for item 4R6UCC9V in My Library:

ZoteroObjectUploadError: Child items cannot be assigned to collections"]

[JavaScript Error: "Child items cannot be assigned to collections" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1314}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error 400 for item YQVNTLYK in My Library:

[JavaScript Error: "Child items cannot be assigned to collections" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1314}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error 400 for item K2DZ5NDY in My Library:

[JavaScript Error: "Made no progress during upload -- stopping" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1373}]

[JavaScript Error: "Made no progress during upload -- stopping" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1373}]

version => 5.0.56, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.56, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.56, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.8.SA.5.0.56, extension)
  • Debug ID is: D822040620
  • Hello, I haven't received a reply. I just got another error message but it might be the same as this previous one - which has been ongoing since I first reported it.
    I will start a new thread with today's error in case it is a new one.
  • edited October 23, 2018
    No need to start a new thread. We'll respond here once we've had a chance to look at this — sorry for the delay. You can post any additional info here.
  • edited October 23, 2018
    [Merged from a separate thread — D.S.]

Hi there,
    I may have previously reported this error, but it may also be a new one. I'm not sure. The error code is:
    It shows up when I click the orange exlamation mark that sits next to the green sync button. I get a message that reads: child items cannot be assigned to collections.
    Is this because I am out of space? Is this an issue as long as I am operating on one machine? Or are some of my child items corrupt? Or Perhaps something completely different! Any insight as to whether I should continue to ignore this or not would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Erin
  • @erinhall: I've been looking into this, and there's definitely a bug here, but it's a bit odd. If you paste 4R6UCC9V into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode in the root of your library, is the attachment that shows up a standalone attachment, or is it attached to another item? In your online library, that attachment is a child item below Z4BZBSUK, but your Zotero is trying to upload that attachment item as if it's a standalone attachment that exists within a collection by itself, and that's causing an error. Anything you can tell us about the state of those items locally would be helpful.

The three affected attachments here are 4R6UCC9V, YQVNTLYK, and K2DZ5NDY.
  • Hi! Apologies for the delay. I've been swamped with work. I've just been looking into your questions above. This is what I've learned:
    When I search 4R6UCC9V in Zotero, it links to a paper VanNest 2009. It is a stand alone pdf attachment. It isn’t linked to another Zotero item or parent item.
    When I search Z4BZBSUK in Zotero I find a different paper. Higman 2018 With a full Zotero reference item and pdf attachment.
    YQVNTLYK links to another stand alone pdf with no parent.
    K2DZ5NDY links to a stand alone pdf with no parent. However, when I do look at the folder it’s located in, I see another copy of this paper that does have a parent.
    All of these pdfs are in the same collection in Zotero. There are a number of other pdfs that are also location in this collection that don’t have parents.

Zotero seems to be causing my computer to work super hard when it is syncing (i.e. the fan starts going like crazy and my computer sometimes blinks off and back on). I think it might be linked to Zotero when this happens. I haven't fully confirmed yet. I just checked the error messages hoping that I'd see the above codes in the error message. However, I was surprised to find a whole different (perhaps?) set of errors. I'll send those next. Alas.

Thank you for your help!

Hopefully we can solve this situation soon. I'm headed back into paper writing mode again so will not wait so long to reply.
    Thanks again,
    Erin
  • Here is the new error code and error message. Fingers crossed it is just because I've run out of room online but I can still use Zotero locally on my laptop?
    I'm told the error message is too long for the comment box (by 6596 characters). Do you need this?
    Thanks!

Report ID 1587090783

[JavaScript Error: "You have reached your Zotero File Storage quota. Some files were not uploaded. Other Zotero data will continue to sync to the server.

See your zotero.org account settings for additional storage options.

Briand et al. - 2009 - Fine-scale habitat selection by female forest-dwel.pdf (461KB)"]

[JavaScript Error: "Zotero Error: You have reached your Zotero File Storage quota. Some files were not uploaded. Other Zotero data will continue to sync to the server.

Boan et al. - 2011 - Influence of post-harvest silviculture on understo.pdf (689KB)" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 607}]
    Zotero.Sync.Storage.Mode.ZFS.prototype._handleUploadAuthorizationFailure<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js:607:5
    tryCatcher@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/util.js:16:16
    module.exports/PromiseSpawn.prototype._promiseFulfilled@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/generators.js:97:18
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:574:17
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise0@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:614:5
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromises@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:693:13
    Async.prototype._drainQueue@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:133:13
    Async.prototype._drainQueues@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:143:5
    Async/this.drainQueues@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:17:9

[JavaScript Error: "Upload request 1/YH6AVZU6 failed"]

.... and on and on like this....
  • Here is my debug code for this new error: D750700418
  • Hello - I wanted to follow up as this error message is still present. My new error code today is: 39329584
    There is a red exclamation mark next to the "Sync with Zotero" button. This is the error that I get when I click on the exclamation mark.
    The error message is: Child items cannot be assigned to collections.
    I'd love to understand why there is an error. I hope all my documents and markups are saved.
    Thank you,
    Erin
  • Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Could you try syncing now to see if it's still happening?
  • Hello
    Thank you for the follow up. I just tried and now receive the message:

"You have reached your Zotero File Storage quota. Some files were not uploaded. Other Zotero data will continue to sync to the server.
    b-c-forest-fires-2014-was-3rd-worst-season-on-record-1.html (136KB)"

I’m currently just using Zotero on one computer. Does the storage simply refer to storage on a server so that I can access my Zotero library online from other computers? If so, perhaps I don’t need to upgrade my storage until I find myself working across multiple computers? However, if it will affect the performance of Zotero on my current machine then I will consider upgrading my storage options.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks again for the follow up! The initial problem does seem to be rectified.
    Erin

• Does the storage simply refer to storage on a server so that I can access my Zotero library online from other computers? If so, perhaps I don’t need to upgrade my storage until I find myself working across multiple computers?
    Yes, that's exactly right. (It applies to accessing your files from the web library as well.)
  • OK Thank you.