Workflow re: automatically retrieve pdf metadata

I have a workflow problem when I turn on Automatically retrieve metadata for pdfs.

I generally populate Zotero by searching in a ProQuest database, going to the full-record, and clicking the Save to Zotero button.

If a pdf licensed from ProQuest is available, a Zotero metadata record is created and the pdf is added as a child of the record.

If a ProQuest licensed pdf is not available, the Save to Zotero button creates a metadata record for the article. I then use my library's open url button to try to connect to a pdf the library is paying for. I then use the Zotero Save to Zotero pdf button to add the pdf to Zotero (or right click on the download icon in the pdf window to download the pdf to Zotero.)

My workflow problem in this latter case is that I end up with TWO metadata records for the article--one from ProQuest (without a child pdf attached) and one from the publisher site (with a pdf attached). I now have to look at both records, decide which one I want, and then perhaps move the pdf to my record of choice. Tedious!

If I TURN OFF the automatic retrieval of pdfs, the pdf goes into my Zotero folder as a standalone and I can just drag it to the appropriate metadata record.

Am I missing something?
  • Two options:
    1) keep using your same workflow, but end by selecting both items, right clicking, and choosing merge item

2) instead of using the Zotero button at the PDF page online (not the journal publisher page but the page viewing just the PDF), click on the URL bar, then drag the favicon from the left side of the URL bar to the existing item in Zotero.

Generally, the publisher site will have somewhat better metadata than ProQuest in my experience, so I would recommend the first option (Merge, then select the second item in the list as the one to keep).