Getting started with extracting highlighted text from pdfs

I've just installed Zotfile but I'm struggling to find instructions or documentation on how to use it. The website (http://zotfile.com) describes how to install and set it up (done) and explains that "ZotFile can automatically extract the highlighted text and note annotations from the pdf" - which is exactly what I want to do. But I can't find an explanation of how to start this process. I tried making some highlights in one of my pdf files and then went into Zotero but nothing seems to have changed. How do I start the process of "extracting the annotations and highlighted text to Zotero notes" and where do they appear? (sorry I'm new to Zotero as well).
  • Make highlights using your PDF reader app and save the file. Then, right click on the item in Zotero and click Manage Attachments, Extract Annotations. This will extract the highlights, comments and underlines as a note (an attachment to the Zotero item, like a post it note
    Or notecard)—click the Notes tab in the right column to see them or click the item in the middle pane and type the right arrow key.
  • I am using Zotero on a Mac and so PDFs are opened in Preview. I have made highlights and notes to my PDF but I don't have the Manage Attachment option when I go to extract them. Help!
  • @zestygirl: That's a ZotFile feature, so you'll need to install that into Zotero.
  • Yes it's a third-party feature which you have to download and install. It works great. I use it all the time. Can't understand why it's not a main feature of Zotfile. And yes, it works with highlights made in Preview or Adobe Acrobat.
  • This is what worked for me, start to finish (with props from other users in this forum)

Using Windows 10 and Chrome

1) Insure you have Zotero 5.xx

2) Get, install, and set up Zotfile (see instructions at http://zotfile.com/index.html#extract-pdf-annotations)

3) Make a blank Zotero entry for your PDF (enter title, author, etc as you would any book)

4) Attach the PDF (that you want highlights from) to the entry you made

5) Extract annotations from the PDF you just attached (see instructions above, second entry by bwiernik October 16, 2018)

6) Your attached annotations will appear as an attachment in your main Zotero entry
  • You don’t need to make an entry (step 3). Just drag the PDF to Zotero and let it automatically retrieve the metadata.

Note that for general use, it’s better to add the item and PDF to Zotero first using the Save to Zotero button from the publisher webpage in your browser, then annotate the saved PDF.