Word Plugin: VB Run-time error 5097

Zotero word plugin causes Visual Basic Runtime error 5097.
VB error pops up right after clicking any of the Buttons in the Zotero Tab.
Zotero debugger is enabled and does not log any lines when trying to use Word plugin. (My guess: error prevents any interaction between zotero installation and plugin.)

I am using Word 2010
Zotero 5.0.56
Windows 10 64-bit

To solve this, i already tried:
*reinstalled Zotero
*deleted zotero.dot from Word Setup
*reinstalled zotero word plugin via Zotero preferences > Cite > Word processors
*checked that word plugin is enabled

Every other (native) word feature does not cause any errors.
Problem persists in old docs as well as newly created docs.

Any tips on how I can solve this? Preferably without switching to another text editing software like libreOffice or another Word installation.
  • We've not seen bugs like this one before and it seems like a Word issue. Things to try as recommended on various MS forums:
    1) Reinstall Word
    2) Move the Normal.dotm template somewhere else and let Word create a new one on restart
    3) Try running Word with administrator privileges
  • 1) I deinstalled Word 2010 and switched to Office 2016 to be sure

I tried 2) and 3) and the problem still persists.
  • Did you ever have Zotero and Word working on this machine before you started getting this error? Could you test whether it works in a new Windows profile/user?
  • I am having the same issue!

I was working just fine on the document two days ago. This morning when trying to add a citation I get this error. It is now happening in every document. Even if I create a new blank document, adding a citation is not possible.

- I Have uninstalled Office with Microsoft's uninstaller tool and reinstalled it.
    - I have uninstalled Zotero
    - I removed the Normal.dotm as mentioned above

Running:
    - Window 10 x64
    - Zotero 5.0.57
    - Office Version 1809

Do you have any other idea?
  • Create a new user profile in Windows and see whether it works there (this is to rule out any user-specific configuration that might be causing the error)
  • It works just fine on another user account. I created a new doument there and added a citation and everything worked. When I tried to edit in on my main account I see the same erro message as before.

I have now even used the Windows 10 Refresh functionality which deletes most applications for you.
  • edited 16 days ago
    I have also recently got the same error 5097. However in my case I cannot even save in Word, so I believe I have some larger problem than Zotero only...

I have tried the suggested steps without success. I also tried to run Word without the Zotero add-in, but I cannot save anyway. Can you guys save Word files? In my case the problem does not appear when running Word as administrator, so I think it is a problem with my user profile, but I haven't managed to solve it yet...

Windows 10 Pro 1809
    MS Office 365 ProPlus 1803
    Zotero 5.0.58
  • Aside from resetting your word user options (see link above), there's little we can suggest. It's a Word problem, so you're better off posting on Microsoft forums somewhere.
  • Same issue as skynoon. Getting Microsoft Visual Basic Run-time error 5097 as soon as I try to insert a citation in Word. Have tried with a different account and it works. Also tried to reinstall Word as well as Zotero. Resetting my word user options via that wizard did nothing except disabling macros.
    I've been having the problem for several months now and it is super annoying. Would appreciate any help

Running:
    Win 10 1809
    MS Office 365 ProPlus 1811
    Zotero 5.0.58
  • Currently facing the same issue with MS Office 365 ProPlus 1803 (Semi annual channel) on Windows 10
  • The troubleshooting steps above still apply. Check to see if it works in a new user account on the same computer. If it does, try resetting Word preferences. If that doesn't help you will have to troubleshoot with Microsoft.