Chicago Manual of Style date format for journal articles (notes and bib. style)

edited October 10, 2018
I posted this here, as a comment on a five-year-old thread, but the title of the discussion isn't particularly clear if someone is searching for this issue. I thought I'd try to make it more visible in case it's helpful, and to invite discussion before making a pull request on Github.

The problem is that currently citations of journal articles include the exact date the article was published (e.g., John Doe, "Recent Findings in Science," _Journal of Research_ 39, no. 2 (April 1, 2018): 50-72.) In practice one typically sees either just the year or month and year. As the linked discussion indicates, CMoS is ambiguous about how this. It says: "The year, sometimes preceded by an exact date, a month, or a season, appears in parentheses after the volume number (or issue number, if given)."

I modified the CSL to do "[Month] [Year]" instead: https://gist.github.com/jrwiebe/caeb53b2fabfb78f89ec6ead1a6ed922

Personally I tend to use only the year; see my comment in the linked code on how to do this.