Importing Medline results to Zotero

Hi,

I am having trouble exporting the results of Medline results to Zotero.

I am following the steps below, but the Zotero troubleshoot comes up when I get to step 7.

I have tried this both with the desktop app and the online version of Zotero.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mitzi

1. Open Zotero.
2. If it doesn’t already exist, create the Zotero folder you want to save the search results to.
3. Open Medline in Chrome and run your search.
4. At the top right of the returned articles list, click on “Page Options: and select the maximum papers viewable per page (typically 50).
5. Click on the Zotero folder in the top right of the Medline browser window
6. Select All and Ok
7. From the drop down that appears select the folder you created in step 2 above.
  • Can you provide an example URL that you're trying to save from?
  • http://web.a.ebscohost.com/ehost/resultsadvanced?vid=5&sid=fc7d5d31-66bd-4a94-9ad1-2ce1be560398@sdc-v-sessmgr05&bquery=((%22Public+Health+Approach%22+OR+%22Public+Health+Model%22+OR+%22Health+Promotion+Framework%22))+AND+((System*))&bdata=JmRiPWNtZWRtJmNsaTA9RFQxJmNsdjA9MjAwMDAxLTAwMDAwMSZ0eXBlPTEmc2l0ZT1laG9zdC1saXZl

I just repeated the above steps and it works if I go with the standard 10 articles per page, but if I up it to 50 articles per page it doesn't :S Some of the searches I'm doing are yielding over 4000 results, so I'd prefer to be able to import as many references per page if possible..
  • If it works for smaller numbers of articles, I'd guess that you're just being blocked for making too many requests.

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/site_access_limits

I don't know off-hand what EBSCO/MEDLINE allows, but if you can generate BibTeX or RIS output for a set of results, that'd be a better option.
  • Bummer! But thanks a lot for your input on resolving this one!
  • You should be able to directly search PubMed without limits on downloading results.
  • Thanks DWL, but PubMed is yielding fewer results than a direct Medline search even though it claims to be searching Medline as well :S
  • Along the lines of what Dan said,
    Share --> Add to folder should allow you to add all 50 (and more).
    From the Folder you can then do Export --> direct export to RIS, which will import into Zotero. I'd recommend doing this with no more than 500 references at a time -- Zotero doesn't love giant imports.
  • I'm really trying to be helpful not arguing-- A properly constructed PubMed search will _always_ yield more items than a Medline search. The PubMed database has the contents of several thousand more journals than are indexed in Medline. In addition, PubMed also contains grey literature items (reports, etc.). If you have access to EBSCO you certainly have a reference librian available. (s)he should be able to improve your search strategy to result in more of what you want and fewer things that are off-topic.