Zotero Integration Error

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this error?

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1743.) @[getDocument:application.m:83]

I'm working on a Mac with the most updated versions of both MsWord (Version 16.17) and macOS Mojave (10.14).

I have never experienced any problems with Zotero, but today it is not working.
A message appeared on my screen when opening Zotero, but I didn't read it competely and pressed no by mistake. I don't know if it was about an integration update.

I have uninstalled Zotero and reinstall it, even the add-ins, but it is still not working.

Thanks
  • Have you tried restarting your Mac? Does it work in a new document?
  • Yes I have restarted Mac and even in new documents the problem occurs.
  • Could you submit a Report ID?
  • Where can I find the report ID?
  • I got it
    Report ID 96148841
  • You probably got a prompt asking Zotero to control Word and clicked "No". This is a new security feature in macOS Mojave. Apple does not seem to provide a graphical interface to re-prompt for control access once the user elects to disable it. You will need to close Zotero and Word, then open the Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and run tccutil reset AppleEvents and then when you try using Word with Zotero you will get a prompt about Zotero controling Word, to which you should agree.
  • That's exactly what happened.
    I even try to reinstall Word but no change at all.
    Yes I got that prompt and said No by mistake and then the problems started.
    I will try to do that.
  • It works...
    Thanks for your help!
  • You are a life-saver. This exact thing happened to me and your Terminal command fixed it. Thank you!
  • Thank you so much 'adomasven.' I was able to fix the glitch.
    Thanks a ton.
  • hmmm this is the same issue what i faced couple of days before.
  • @adomasven We've seen this a lot and I don't understand it well enough to properly write up. Could you add this to the troubleshooting (unless, which would be better of course, there's a fix you can put it)
  • (We have a ticket open for a better error message when this happens.)
  • I have the same problem. I updated to Mojave, and I get this error message when I try to use Zotero:
    Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1743.) @[getDocument:application.m:83]

I tried the suggested remedy using the terminal but nothing changed. The next time I started up, I was prompted to allow another program access to AppleEvents but not Zotero.

Can you suggest something else?

Thank you.
  • Yes, it seems that the prompt says "Terminal" wants access to control "Microsoft Word", instead of "Zotero". Our current method of communication with Word works via the Terminal and we're not in a position to change that. You will have to grant Terminal access to control Word. Note, that this is no different to how the plugin worked before, it's just that macOS now actively prompts you about it. We're working on improved error dialogs for this issue.
  • @adomasven The thing is that I'm not getting any prompts at all. I was prompted by the OS to let fuspredownloader to access System Events but I never did get any other prompts. Can I use the Terminal to give Zotero access? If so, how do I do that?

Thank you for the quick response.