Update existing citation via DOI

At the moment I find I have to create a new citation using DOI then drag attached PDF(s) from the old citation to the new one. Is there a way to simply refresh existing citation to add the new information, the way PaperShip does? I have not been able to find a previous post that matched my question.
  • Rather than dragging the PDF, just select both items, right click, and choose Merge Items. An update function like you describe is planned, but nonETA on when it will be implemented.
  • Thanks so much for your reply. That does sound like a better way of doing it, and I'm happy to hear there's plan to add additional functionality as well.
  • The only problem is: If you have near infinity citations in a collection, creating a new item puts that one on the top of the list (or in which other way you might be sorting your collection). Try finding your wrongly named one (to CTRL-click and merge) somewhere in the list then...
    It would be a relief to just right click -> change entry according to ISBN/DOI/PMID...
    Cheers!
  • Ah - and plus: merge doesn't work with different item type's; so need to know that in advance if you are as unfortunate as to have created an old item with some item type, but the correct one is of a different species. That then needs an extra correction step.
  • Has this been implemented yet? I am also struggling with updating metadata in this way.
  • Currently making a new item and merging is the process. The function to do it in one step is coming along and will likely be implemented soon if I had to guess (just my impression, not any official insight)
  • Please add this function