Why Zotero does not contain the `keywords` of a article in the 'Info' field?

Hi everyone,
I think it would be helpful if Zotero captures the 'keywords' of a publication automatically and contains them in the 'Info' field or in the 'Tags' field but can be distinguished with the tags.
In that case, keywords can be used to filter items together with user assigned tags. Keywords are defined by the authors of the publication and I think that is the important information of it. It seems Zotero does not capture keywords right now and it must be added as tags manually if one wants them.
  • This depends on the database, but for the most part Zotero does capture keywords as tags. Where are you saving from where it doesn't (URL)?
  • Hi, thanks very much for your reply! That means if the keywords are captured they are saved as tags, is that right? I am sorry I do not notice from which URLs the keywords are saved. But some of the items of academic papers do not have tags.
    I am wondering if that is possible and necessary to distinguish the keywords and the tags. When we filter the items, it seems it is more easy to do that if they are separated. Since the keywords are given by the publication originally and the tags are user defined.
  • In Zotero, keywords that are automatically added from the publisher at import are called “Automatic Tags”. These show up with a red tag icon in the Tags tab of the right pane (user-added tags have a blue tag icon). You can hide automatic tags from the tag selector in the lower left pane by right clicking and unchecking the Show Automatic Tags option.
  • For the next several days I will make a list of publisher sites that don't supply keywords with metadata imported to Zotero. I'll post again to this thread when I've made some progress.

Mostly these are shortcomings of the publishers. Keywords displayed on the webpage aren't always included in the metadata available for download. I've tested these publisher sites for other download options (for example RIS) examined the html page headers, etc. in hope that I could provide information to Zotero developers that could improve keyword availability. In almost all cases, the keywords are not available in a systematic pattern that can allow import into Zotero.
  • Thanks very much for all the replies! When we search the tags at the left bottom of the screen, it seems the automatic tags and user-defined tags cannot be distinguished. Of cause, Zotero has the function to hide all the automatic tags. But I am thinking about that, what if the user-defined tags and the automatic tags have different signs, for example, different background colors, to distinguish them just when we type. Since the user may give a tag as the same as the keywords, it seems that is not obvious to tell the difference.
    Furthermore, what about the keywords located in the `Info` panel, since they are original information of the collected item. In that case, they can be separated with tags. And when users search in the search bar at the left bottom, the keywords also can be used to filter the items in the repository. But maybe as I suggested previously, they can be distinguished with the user-defined tags. That is my suggestions for your consideration.
    Again, thanks very much for your time and all the kind replies!