Error using multiple profiles "Your Zotero profile cannot be loaded...."

edited September 25, 2018
Hi all, I need your help, since I cannot locate any of my databases and references :<(

[Note: the two threads on this error did not refer on the case there is more than one profile]

Short explanation.
I played with creating a third profile in zotero. Created and deleted.
Now when I try to start Zotero with the 2 old profiles, I get that message!
How can I findout what the problem is and how to solve it?

Long explanation:
I use Zotero standalone for mac with two profiles. [a version of this year, not sure of the number]
Today I created a new 3rd profile called XX.

I started Zotero with that new profile, to make a freshly new database for a new project
Since I saw all my old references in the new profile, I thought, well "it did not work out. I might just come back to use my old default profile".
I proceeded to delete the new profile, and say yes, delete files of the new profile when prompted.

I then applied the solution offered in other post under the same error in mac os x 13.

I could only recovered the first profile, the one using the "default..." prefix.
How can i get the 2nd old profile back?

Thanks !

• I'm afraid you're mostly on your own for this — profiles are an advanced configuration, and it's not clear what exactly you've done. I'd guess that you have an entry in profiles.ini for which there's no longer a folder. If you can't figure it out, you should just delete the Profiles directory and create new profiles pointing to your data directories.
  • Hi Dstillman,
    As usual, your comments are so helpful! Just for the record:

The error occurred after updating zotero and creating a new profile, which was opened just once, before being deleted.

The first rare action wasthat the new profile was populated with the data of the default profile.
    I proceeded to delete this new profile. Indeed, it dissapeared from profile.ini
    But it also dissapeared the entry of an older profile -not the default one-.

Solution?
    Well, it was just necessary to re'locate the directories of the old disappeared profile and recreate the entry in profile.ini.

As you suggested Dstillman.

Thanks !