Group collaboration on a Word paper for publication

What is the best way for multiple persons to collaborate on a paper to ensure that zotero citations are added correctly.

I am a librarian helping a patron who is publishing a paper with several other persons. he has been added to the group library that all the collaborators are using. He is composing in Libre Word on a MAC, and adds citations from the group library. He saves his libre document in .docx format and sends it to the "main" editor who incorporates it in to the "master" document.
This main editor is indicating that the "citations dont look right".

Ultimately, I think what I am asking is how can collaborators who share a group library best deal with their document copies? should they submit their individual edits to a central person who incorporates everything in one master copy? Can Zotero handle combining documents that share a library and have everything conform properly to a style and numbering?
  • Hi Everyone:
    I apologize to the group. I have asked a version of this question before--about collaborators and got very helpful responses about sharing group libraries. The emphasis of my question today is how to best manage a Word document among the collaborators. If they each work on a copy of a paper (sharing a zotero group) can various copies of the word document be combined and have zotero work properly? Thank you!
  • Generally yes (e.g. if different people work ondifferent sections, will work fine, as will copying from one document to another), though working with multiple versions of a document is generally a tricky issue and doing this with LibreOffice and .docx, which forces you to use Bookmarks, is particularly tricky.

We'd need to know more about what "citations don't look right" means to be able to say whether there is actually a problem with what they're doing or just that the main author doesn't like the citation style.