Articles not showing alphabetical with the same date

Hi,

Recently, I noticed that articles with the same date don't show up alphabetically. I would assume that once the date is the same for different articles, the articles would cluster together but should show alphabetically in the order. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,
Gauri
  • This is controlled by the citation style. What style are you using?
  • I believe the owner would have the rights to select style...right? I am an admin in most of the group libraries so was wondering if I will be able to see the style?
  • edited September 24, 2018
    I don't think you're talking about the same thing @ggovil you'll need to step back and describe your problem in a bit more detail, most importantly, at what you're actually looking (i.e. "show up" where?)
  • Hi @adamsmith

My initial question was:

"I noticed that articles with the same date don't show up alphabetically by title" (when the articles are added in a folder in a group library). I would assume that once the date (publication date which gets downloaded from the actual article) is the same for different articles, the articles would cluster together but should show alphabetically in the order. Is there something I am missing?"

Did I explain which alphabetical order I am talking about?
  • and you mean the online view of the group library? Yeah, I don't think you can affect the secondary sort condition for that, sorry.
  • oh.really..Is that something that can be considered for future updates?

Also, as an admin where can I see the style of the group library I am a part of?

• Nevermind about the style comment. I was misinterpreting your question. You can control the secondary sort variable in the Zotero desktop app, but not currently in the online view.
  • There are no styles for online libraries. Every user can adjust what they see, you can't fix any view (and as bwiernik says, styles don't apply here at all).
  • Thanks @bwiernik and @adamsmith! I checked the desktop app and the "second sort" option for title is there but it doesn't have the option "alphabetically". Could this be added in future updates?

Thanks
  • I don't understand -- it sorts alphabetically. How else would it sort?
  • Can I send you a screenshot?
  • post it anywhere you want (e.g. imgur.com, Dropbox) link to it here.
  • edited September 25, 2018
    @adamsmith ...Here is the link to my screenshot.

https://imgur.com/a/eW0ujUH

Thanks
  • edited September 25, 2018
    that's your online library, not the desktop. How they display your library is independent. Sorting in the desktop app does not affect how your library looks online (and again, how _you_ sort your library doesn't affect how it looks for other people).
  • Thanks for your feedback! I understood your point...