Zotero 5: can anybody develop an addon for me?

Hello everybody

there is one thing I'm not happy in Zotero's GUI:
in the right pane I have to change to another tab if I like to see notes or tags.

Now my question:
is it perhaps possible to develop an addon that shows at least the notes below the general information?

If this would possible is there anybody who is willing to develop such an addon. For money of course;-).

Thanks for helping.

Daniel
  • It is possible, yes, but I'd guess the reason why notes and tags are on a different pane is that they take an indeterminate amount of space in the UI, and the Info ta bis already pretty crowded.
  • thanks for your answer.

I think it's not a big deal regarding the bunch of information. On the left pane we have the same problem: above the collections and below the tags.

Here you can see a screenshot of that I mean:
    https://officehilfe.ch/zoteronotes.png

Well, if there is anybody who can develop such an add-on, I would be very happy.
  • Something like this would be the way to go about it, but it's mostly UI-fiddling, and I hate UI work.
  • hehe I see;-). No problem!
    Wow, the addon is quite a good start, thanks!
    One small issue: the notes part does not refresh automatically.

Unfortunately I'm not able to improve it; I only know VBA and old Pascal...

Thanks
    Daniel
  • That is correct, it doesn't refresh. I haven't looked into how that works, or how to make the notes end up at the bottom. If anyone else wants to look into this my code can be used (or discarded) without restriction or expectation of payment on my part. But personally I'm not going to look into it any further than this, I was curious is a simple move of the UI code would do it, but it doesn't, and I'm not getting into UI work.

Note that in a year or so this extension or anything like it will stop working when Zotero moves to Electron. All extensions will have to be rebuilt at that time.
  • Thanks for your open words and the remark about Electron; I haven't noticed so far.

For me this is not a problem. In a year my master thesis should be over and then I won't use Zotero. But until then I would be very happy to pay to someone who is interested to develop such an addon.

Thanks and best wishes
    Daniel
  • In a year my master thesis should be over and then I won't use Zotero.

I suspect that you will need to write reports or grant proposals after you complete your degree. The utility of Zotero is certainly not limited to academic assignments.