No functions working after update

I updated a (Debian) system, and it auto-updated Firefox. Now Zotero Standalone starts, but none of the files are visible, and I can't use any function in it. I can open the drop-down menus etc., but if I click on the options nothing happens.

The files are there, in the "mozilla" path, gigs of them:
https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/data_missing_after_zotero_5_upgrade

How would it be best to proceed?
  • Let's start with a Report ID.
  • Unfortunately the "Report errors to Zotero" drop-down menu item doesn't work either...
  • How did you update? Is this via debian package manager or by installing Zotero from tarball? The debian package is not maintained by Zotero.
  • As I recall installing via the package manager was not possible, and I used a tarball. Unfortunately, this also means that Zotero compatibility is not maintained by Debian.

• I'm pretty sure I downloaded it from your site. Is there an easy way of telling whether Zotero has updated or failed to update, given that I can't get a version number or other info out of the GUI?

I seem to have data directories in both the mozilla and zotero profile paths, though it's pretty obvious which one contains my files from size.
  • I'm not quite sure what your question is. We offer a tarball for Linux that should run on most distros, the same as Firefox. If you're not sure if you have the official one, just download it again.
  • I'm pretty sure I got the official one from your website. My question is how to get my Zotero working again, ideally without re-installing and restoring from my last flat-file backup. I'd also be interested in knowing how to avoid this in future. Finally, I'm just reporting that an update went wrong; if I can give you any useful details, please let me know.

• I'm saying that it's a waste of time to debug anything further until you download the current tarball and try running that.
  • OK. How should I best preserve my data while doing this? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
  • Your data has nothing to do with the application files. Your data is in ~/Zotero by default. The application files are wherever you extracted the tarball.