Style Request/Fix: SBL Style bibliography

Hi,

For the Society of Biblical Literature style on zotero, the footnotes appear correctly but the final "Bibliography" I entries are totally wrong. I think the title of the CSL file is "full note no bibliography." I need an SBL style bibliography -- basically in the same format as the footnotes (specifically, the first citation which is a full note). The only difference is that the bibliography entries begin with "last name, first name," while the notes begin with the author's full name.

I do not know or understand CSL or how to fix this. My only solution is to cut and paste the "full note" citation into each bibliography entry manually, after zotero has generated it for the document. This is my dissertation, so the bibliography is very long. Having an auto-generated style would be so helpful, but I see none listed in the style directory.

can anyone help me?

z
  • The SBL style already does that.
    Test for you:

In text:
    John L. Campbell and Ove K. Pedersen, “The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success,” Comp. Polit. Stud. 40.3 (2007): 307–32, http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0010414006286542.

Bibliography:
    Campbell, John L., and Ove K. Pedersen. “The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success.” Comp. Polit. Stud. 40.3 (2007): 307–32. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0010414006286542.

Please test the style out in a fresh document. The style doesn't need any fixing.

• Hi,

I have tested this a bunch of times. The main problem is with chapter sections of books.

So this is my first note entry, looks right:
    James C. VanderKam, “Moses Trumping Moses: Making The Book Of Jubilees,” in The Dead Sea Scrolls, ed. Hindy Najman, Sarianna Metso, and Eileen Schuller, STDJ 92 (Leiden ; Boston: Brill, 2010), 29.

BUT in the same document I get the following as a bibliography entry:

VanderKam, James C. “Moses Trumping Moses: Making The Book Of Jubilees.” Pages 25–44 in The Dead Sea Scrolls. Edited by Hindy Najman, Sarianna Metso, and Eileen Schuller. STDJ 92. Leiden ; Boston: Brill, 2010.

Can someone please help?

Z

• I think you're wrong about how SBL bibliographies should look. I don't have the style manual here, but check the chapter citation in the sample bibliography (all the way at the end) here, from the official SBL site: https://www.sbl-site.org/assets/pdfs/pubs/SBLHSsupp2015-02.pdf
  • They definately are not supposed to have "Pages XX-XXX in" after the title. That is supposed to go at the end of the entry without "pages." In short, the book-chapter citations are not correct for the Bibliography, though they are correct for the Notes. Can someone help me get the correct citations format for the bibliography?
  • Could you cite the relevant section of the SBL manual? I'm pretty sure you're simply wrong about this (not sure why you don't even bother to respond to my above link, which shows just this in an SBL-provided bibliography). If you want a custom style we may be able to walk you through how to do this yourself, but if you want the official SBL style changed, we need more than assertions.
  • wow, you are correct it does list it that way in that manual. my bad.